Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would relay this tale in hopes of saving a life. Don't think for one minute that you might be safer on roads with wide shoulders. This morning I was nearly killed by a truck using this area as another traffic lane. Luck would have it that I was riding within a foot of the grass. But I hate to think what would have happened if at the time I was trying to miss broken glass or other assorted road junk. Without any warning this truck passed me doing about 75mph and missed me by about SIX INCHES. He was traveling in a pack of about six other vehicles including a semi truck. Just guessing that he moved onto the shoulder so he could let the other cars go by. As he passed he looked into his rear view mirror directly at me. I was pissed! If I could have caught him I would still be pounding on his worthless ass. Be safe out there.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My dad was hit by an 18 wheeler over the summer in CA. Similar situation, major road, truck moved onto a shoulder, hit my dad.....Luckily he escaped with some serious injuries, but he's alive. (He had 4 surgerys to put back together his arm, and then those surgerys caused complications, but he just got back on his bike for the first time last week after a full winter of PT). All I can say is be thankful, and be careful, cause crap happens...

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
Oh Yeah............

Man, you cant take anything for granted when you're on a bike. It is completely dangerous no matter where you go, and all you can do is be as careful as you possibly can. The only time I feel completely safe is when I'm right outside my front porch. cco9 ~ glad your dad lived to tell the tale.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.