Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Bobby Flay.

I never really liked your personality as shown on TV, and your cooking often seems heavy handed, but now I can see just how big a wanker you really are.

$26 for a fish taco? On the LUNCH menu? And with no sides at all? Can't you at least throw on some rice and beans for that price?

Guess not.

http://internetfoodassociation.com/2009/03/08/angry-rant-from-a-californian/

And if I am not mistaken, lots of the items on that menu are featured on your Throwdown show, which I watch hoping to see your overwrought and spiced-no-matter-what's-going-on food LOSE to the people you challenge. So I know what's in the dishes, and what it takes to make them.

And unless those mussels and fries cover half the table, they ain't worth $23 bucks. And that pot pie, which you made last night on your show? It's smoked chicken, veg, and flour. No truffles, no super reduced stocks, nothing that costs more than pennies to add to the mix.... just a smoked and spiced up pot pie with some sweet potato in the crust. $19 for a chicken pot pie, a dish that uses up your freaking kitchen LEFTOVERS? Where the total cooking effort at lunch is "ladle, cover, bake"?

Keep in mind my wife and I dropped $100 on food alone at Rick Bayless' place, the cheap barside, not the upscale side, and thought it worth every penny for the food it delivered.

But you sir, are clearly too full of yourself. You ain't all that, and you ain't worth even considering spending that kind of coin on.... for lunch.

As the link above points out....

"Coincidentally, I flew from New York to Los Angeles on Saturday. Still smarting from my $26 fish taco, I had dinner at Rubio’s. Three fish tacos, all of them better than Flay’s. Plenty of beans and chips and salsa. $9. Cali represent!"​

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Who is the bigger wanker: The one who charges $26 for a fish taco, or the one who pays it? I'm actually going with the one who pays it, then complains about it.

Those prices don't seem out of line for a mid-town Manhattan brasserie. That's life in the big city. I'm sure it's cheaper to eat in New Jersey.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
flay is a ginormous wanker...

he reminds me of the dorky nerdy kid with no friends...that got lucky and came into money.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Yum, Rubios. :thumbsup:

·
Opus was just napping
21,669 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Who is the bigger wanker: The one who charges $26 for a fish taco, or the one who pays it? I'm actually going with the one who pays it, then complains about it.

Those prices don't seem out of line for a mid-town Manhattan brasserie. That's life in the big city. I'm sure it's cheaper to eat in New Jersey.
19.00 for a burger...that reminds me of Travolta's lines in Pulp Fiction about the Milk Shake.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Really? He always came across as a guy I'd like to sit at a bar with and throw a few beers back. He and Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs makes the list out of TV personalities... They seem like good guys. Although $26 fish tacos seem steep!

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Coolhand said:
I like Rubios, but the one near me has the "story" of how they started on the wall, with pictures. Basically, the owner was surfing in Baja, ate a great fish taco, asked the guy for the recipe, then took it home and started the business. Every time I read that on the wall, I think, you stole that guy's recipe!

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
I've pretty much given up on TV, but I'd buy a beer for Rowe and then use the empty stein to smack Flay upside the head.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
LostRower said:
Really? He always came across as a guy I'd like to sit at a bar with and throw a few beers back. He and Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs makes the list out of TV personalities... They seem like good guys. Although $26 fish tacos seem steep!
My wife and I were somewhere and sombody asked which celebrity you would want to have dinner with. I didn't have an answer, because I generally don't give a &&*^ about celebrities. My wife suggested Mike Rowe. I had to agree. Mike Rowe would be fun to sit down with and have a beer, or just go along on a shoot with.

We watch a bit of Bobby Flay. It's not cartoons and most of the other programming these days isn't ideal for a 6 year old, so food channel and Discovery are on quite a bit.

Biggest wanker is Bear Grillis.

As for the price... WTF, if people are willing to pay it, then what does it matter. Every look at Oakley sunglasses. $150-$300 for some plastic? The frames are probably ten cents worth of plastic. The lenses $5 or $10 at most, yet people will pay $$$ for them. Just like Flays stuff, it's not the price of what he pays for the stuff, it's the price of what others are willing to pay because of how he puts it together.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Coolhand said:
Rubios, ah Rubios.

About the only thing I miss about SoCal is the food at inexpensive joints.

BTW I got no problem with someone separating a fool from his money.

OTOH fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mohair_chair said:
I have no complaint about the food or the prices, it is the food AND the price. Come on, you pay $26 for a lunch entree, do you expect some sort of side with the taco or not? And for that price should your tortilla be fresh and perfect, or what that guy got served?

I've paid big city prices before without blinking, but I expect big city food when I do. Bayless has prices like Flay, but we were getting duck and lamb dishes, and ingredients that aren't in my kitchen right now like huitlacoche.

Not that I am the target market here, I'd much rather find a place I never heard of than go to the place where everyone know the owner's name. In the unknown place, the actual chef in charge might actually be cooking the food or at least checking the plates on the way out. Flay don't cook, flay doesn't spend much time in his places at all, since I imagine he is too busy being a star and leveraging his brand.

I've been to Spago when someone dragged me there and paid, prefered Joe's in Venice even on my own coin. http://www.joesrestaurant.com/menu_lunch.php

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
kykr13 said:
I've pretty much given up on TV, but I'd buy a beer for Rowe and then use the empty stein to smack Flay upside the head.
+1 on what kykr said!

Flay is an A$$hat! I am foody and I like to eat good food. There is a group of us that goes out to new restaurants that we hear about and check them out. Last time I was in Vegas we ate at his place there. I will only say that his restaurants do not qualify for my list of repeat eateries. I don't mind paying the price if it is worth it, I don't find his food worth what he is charging.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
rward325 said:
Flay is an A$$hat! I am foody and I like to eat good food. There is a group of us that goes out to new restaurants that we hear about and check them out. Last time I was in Vegas we ate at his place there. I will only say that his restaurants do not qualify for my list of repeat eateries. I don't mind paying the price if it is worth it, I don't find his food worth what he is charging.
OK, but the molten chocolate cake with smoked pecan ice cream I had at his Vegas restaurant the one time I went there was amazing.

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,614 Posts
This made me laugh for some unknown reason:

“Let it go,” he said. “If you get it back, it will probably have corn in the pockets & be inartfully altered to pay homage to breakfast.”

In any case, I'll call your Bear Grylls and raise you an Andrew Zimmern. Talk about a wanker.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
I like Bobby Flay. Sure he's a self important a-hole, but I like his style of food. Too many bland dishes out there in need of some heat if you ask me.

Now for his cookbooks--they suck. He's always asking you to use some wacky ingedients or spices that only exist in some speciality store or particular region of the country. Why not give some everyday alternatives to the exotic stuff? Not everyone wants to make everything from total scratch when it can taste just as good using stuff that is more common in most supermarkets. And it takes FOREVER to make anything because you're preparing everything from total scratch.

//Hoo...have you read Anthony Bourdain's book called The Nasty Bits? He goes to Mesa Grill and recounts his experiences--pretty funny stuff. He basically says people go there because they want to experience Bobby's personality--not the food. He goes off a bit on a coffee rubbed ribeye as being over the top, but that it somehow is appropriate because it's Bobby's ribeye. :)

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
weltyed said:
i have hated him since the "grillin and chillin" days.

but the boy sure kows how to sucker people outta their money, no?
I like that show because it gives me grill ideas. You can tell Flay actually likes to grill--I will admit he goes a bit too far sometimes. Use your oven or stove when it makes sense Bobby!

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
I'd rather have a dinner interrupted by Gordon Ramsey's profanities than have Bobby Flay wait on me hand and foot. Ramsey can cook even if he does need therapy.

If you're ever in Bozeman Montana pay a visit to Boodles downtown. "Manhattan" prices but the food is flawless. But go there after visiting Carl Strong at his shop or after a ride.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Antonio_B said:
This made me laugh for some unknown reason:

“Let it go,” he said. “If you get it back, it will probably have corn in the pockets & be inartfully altered to pay homage to breakfast.”

In any case, I'll call your Bear Grylls and raise you an Andrew Zimmern. Talk about a wanker.
I can't stand Zimmern or that bleached hair wanker..something Fiore?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts