Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...........Have a relative newb question for those more experienced than I. Recently purchased my first real road bike which came with a custom built wheelset - Velocity Fusion rims, DT bladed spokes, Chris King hubs. I've put around 1300 miles on these this summer and I have no complaints whatsoever, but my question is what benefits/differences would I notice with upgrading ? Obviously I know I could shave some weight but could ride quality be improved ? I guess my main problem is that I have no reference point as I've never ridden anything else so to those of you who have ridden many different wheelsets please chime in.........Currently I'm just trying to build up strength and stamina as I've just started, riding around 120 mi/wk., mainly flats, a century here and a charity ride there sort of casual rider.....currently @ 160 lbs......considering trying crit racing next summer if I'm able to continue to ride on a trainer over winter so an upgrade might be beneficial if that takes place.......Thanks for any input !

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Those sound like plenty good wheels for your level of experience and riding goals... very little to be gained without going to deep carbon rims... which will give you lower weight and a slightly higher top end.

G

·
I'm curious as to what you think would be an "upgrade" to those wheels, and why?

Those wheels are fine for pretty much anything you will want to do.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TooMany.........I have figured as much and as I said I have no complaints with them.......I've just noticed that alot of people ride Kysriums, and I've seen ads for Fulcrum, Neuvation, Reynolds etc on this site.........I suppose you asked me the question that I'm asking you guys.......what WOULD be an upgrade....and why ?......the reason why I ask is that I have a little extra cash that I'd like to spend on the bike before my fiance spends it and an extra wheelset was something I was kicking around.......

G

·
Phaedrus75 said:
TooMany.........I have figured as much and as I said I have no complaints with them.......I've just noticed that alot of people ride Kysriums, and I've seen ads for Fulcrum, Neuvation, Reynolds etc on this site.........I suppose you asked me the question that I'm asking you guys.......what WOULD be an upgrade....and why ?......the reason why I ask is that I have a little extra cash that I'd like to spend on the bike before my fiance spends it and an extra wheelset was something I was kicking around.......
The wheels you have are pretty much as good as you will find. The hubs especially are very good.

There is a tendency now-a-days to factory wheel sets, some mis-paced belief that they are the "magic bullet" or are lighter, or ..................

A good set of hand builts will usually be a better, stronger, tougher longer lasting wheel set and truth be told can be built as light or lighter than any of the factory sets.

Carbon wheels excepted.

I tried a pair of Carbon wheels for a while, and honsetly, hated them. Sold them.

If you want to spend some cash then I would say take a look for another nice set of handbuilts. There a number of custom wheel builders who frequent this forum and they could build you a strong, light and "blingy" wheelset for less money than you would spend on a not as good factory set.

Ergott and Ligero are two RBR members who come to mind who are custom wheel builders - send them PM's.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
You could unbuild the wheels, sell the rims on eBay and reuse the hubs with lighter rims. the hubs you have are highly rated. this scheme would work if you had a second pair of wheels to ride while you this bs. After all the shuffle is done with this scheme you might save 100-150 grams. Would it worth it? i don't know. buying a pair of factory wheels would save you the same 100grams but would cost more.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your info and I will definitely consider another handbuilt set........was just curious as to how my current wheelset would weigh in compared to other factory sets as I doubt my LBS would let me go demo 4 or 5 expensive wheelsets, esp carbon, but I could be wrong......but as both of you guys have stated, this set should be relatively bullet proof and serves my current purposes and experience........perhaps holding off until next Spring and see where I am at that point might be best........

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have to agree with Creakyknees. That is a very nice wheelset. I run the same rims, but with White Industries Hubs and CX-Ray Spokes. I would say that our wheels are pretty equal. They have been solid performers for club rides and Tuesday night racing.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
The price of bling

Phaedrus75 said:
I've just noticed that alot of people ride Kysriums, and I've seen ads for Fulcrum, Neuvation, Reynolds etc on this site.
Rest assured that those people paid a lot more for their wheels, got what they perceived to be some bling, and got NOTHING by way of actual performance over what you are riding. They DID get wheels that are often much harder and more expensive to maintain.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Phaedrus75 said:
and why ?......the reason why I ask is that I have a little extra cash that I'd like to spend on the bike before my fiance spends it and an extra wheelset was something I was kicking around.......

Dude, that reason makes me cringe. If that is the true reason, then open yourself up an investment account, invest that money in a balanced portfolio, watch it grow and enjoy your current wheels. Now if you're just trying to spend the "fun money" left over after everything else is taken care of, then OK. You still have communication issues with your fiance, but OK. I'll step off my soapbox now...:)

·
Banned
3,262 Posts
I have the Neuvations R28 sl2 and while they aren't bad, I went back to my Open pros with campy hubs. I also recently got a used set of Classics Pros which I really like.

I just like the higher spoke count wheels. I'm on a retro phase and will get 25c tires for my next set. It seems to me that I'm getting a big increase in comfort and I doubt I'm losing much performance wise. I'm just training anyway....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.