Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Testing

al0 said:
It could be a paint crack, though it sure looks dangerous! I would put some serious fore/aft pressure on the fork while a trusted friend watched the "crack" for any movement. I would also see if a razor blade or very fine needle would penetrate the crack. Finally, I would pull the fork and headset lower cup (or whatever is in the head tube) and do a "tap test" around the circumfrence of the bottom of the head tube. If there is any sound change around the crack, then it's done. Stick a fork in it (pun intended).

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Something like to 20000. not so much.
There were no crashes at all.

And it definitely is more then the paint crack - as it creaks :mad2: Really, I was searching for the source of the creaks when discovered it.

Anyhow the frame is 3 year old and the internet shop that sold it provides 5-year warranty on its housebrand frames and cycles. Would see if this warranty will be fulfilled.

Kuma601 said:
Looks suspicious. How many miles on the bike? Has it had any crashes?

·
Registered
216 Posts
al0 said:
Anyhow the frame is 3 year old and the internet shop that sold it provides 5-year guarantee on its housebrand fames and cycles. Would see if this guarantee will be fulfilled.
That's reassuring. I'd be interested in follow-ups n how your ordeal goes. Good luck.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the end it appeared to be a paint crack (paint was removed and aluminum under it was undamaged).
thesmokingman said:
That's reassuring. I'd be interested in follow-ups n how your ordeal goes. Good luck.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not so much impressive - they are kilometers, not miles :)

As for the service - they checked the frame as I have described in the previous post, covered the area with the removed paint with the nice sticker and sent the frame to me. The only drawback that it takes them almost a month a couple of mail and phone pushes from my side.
wvucyclist said:
20000 in 3 years, pretty impressive! I'm also interested in the service you get, keep posting updates!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Glad this wasn't serious. With any of these internet frames, one becomes wary how well the customer service and support will be. Keep riding! :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really their service and support were quite good but somewhat degraded in the last year (they became not very responsive - emails are unanswered for a week or until a reminder email, things agreed during phone calls became forgotten - unless you spoke with the owner or some of the senior employees - and so on, But after some efforts desired results are reached anyway).

BTW as typical for Germany, it is not a pure internet shop - they have a "real" LBS shop as well.

Kuma601 said:
Glad this wasn't serious. With any of these internet frames, one becomes wary how well the customer service and support will be. Keep riding! :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Noise has gone - likely because the bicycle was completely disassembled (the bare frame was sent for the inspection).
T K said:
So did the sticker fix the creaking noise?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong, but his would be a very unusual place for an Aluminum frame to crack.

I thought they failed at or near the welds due to the heat of welding making the metal brittle. If they are not heat treated properly they stay brittle.

It was a good idea to get it checked out.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
According to LBS to which I brought the bike initially and which suggested the possible break this place is not so unusual if the headset is improperly adjusted (not tight enough). If it is really so I have no idea.
QuattroCreep said:
Please correct me if I am wrong, but his would be a very unusual place for an Aluminum frame to crack.

I thought they failed at or near the welds due to the heat of welding making the metal brittle. If they are not heat treated properly they stay brittle.

It was a good idea to get it checked out.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I had an aluminum Colnago crack top and bottom at the headtube after 3 yrs and probably 20K miles. I don't think it was unusual for that model frame either.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dude, perfect excuse for a new bike.... Technology has changed so fast. You can get a lot of bike for cheap at our friends bikesdirect.com - no I am not a shill, just a realistic consumer...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts