Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have updated info regarding this prototype tire? I'm currently running the 29er version on my MTB and am quite impressed. It hooks up well, rolls fast, and is light/durable.

· Roadbikereview Editor
182 Posts
NoTubes "Raven"

I spoke with Stan a few months back about this tire, he's very excited about it.

The Raven's tread pattern is similar to the Crow MTB tire. The Raven has a more open tread profile and lower tread in the center with beefed up lugs on the edges. It also uses a dual compound rubber.

Look for a review in an upcoming issue of CX Magazine.

· Registered
135 Posts
Rim Compatibility Question

Notubes_pete

On the sidewall it notes they are Tubeless Ready. Is the bead like the one Hutchinson tires come with? In other words, will these work tubeless with the Shimano 7801/7850 tubeless rims, or are they designed for 355 rim?

Regards

JD

· Cyclocross Magazine, Baby
75 Posts
hey guys. the tire is the raven, and we've had a prototype that weighed 329 grams and discussed a bit here and in our soon-to-mail issue 4. The new production models are out and available - it arrived hours before we talked to Stan at Interbike and they're mostly the same, although a bit heavier at 380 grams. See a picture here.

It'll work with almost any rim...although you may need tape or 'cross rims strips to take up space to avoid burping.

· Registered
33 Posts
Its not the same bead as the Hutchinson. The final production of the Raven tires have a little extra rubber around the bead to make them seal up quickly. I just mounted the Raven and the Hutchinson tubeless cross tire the same easton rim. The Raven i mounted with just my hands, used one tire leaver to get it off the rim. The Hutchinson there was no way i was mounting that tire with just my hands.

I don't have a Shimano 7801/7850 tubeless wheel to test, but since the tire is looser fitting it might not work on that rim with out adding the cyclocross rim strip witch weights 44g.

· All-purpose bike...
80 Posts
notubes_pete said:
The final production of the Raven tires have a little extra rubber around the bead to make them seal up quickly...I don't have a Shimano 7801/7850 tubeless wheel to test, but since the tire is looser fitting it might not work on that rim with out adding the cyclocross rim strip witch weights 44g.
I ordered a pair on Friday and intend to mount them on a set of Kysrium ES wheels -- should I be using a rim strip?

75 Posts
use a rim strip

PT said:
I ordered a pair on Friday and intend to mount them on a set of Kysrium ES wheels -- should I be using a rim strip?
definitely. if you want to go tubeless so you can go lower, you'll need a good seal. we have a lot of tubeless testing in our latest issue (at the printers) and road tubeless results don't apply for cx. you can try multiple layers of tape but the rim strip works.

· Registered
110 Posts
notubes_pete said:
The rubber rim strip is recommenced on all wheels. No plan's on designing any more tires for a long time. The Raven took us almost 2 years to get.

Agreed.....BUT for your rims (Stan's) you really don't need them. The yellow tape doubled works like a champ. Especially with the hutchinson tires. The rim strip would make it difficult deluxe for sure!

· Registered
33 Posts
Fanaticbiking said:
Agreed.....BUT for your rims (Stan's) you really don't need them. The yellow tape doubled works like a champ. Especially with the hutchinson tires. The rim strip would make it difficult deluxe for sure!
Yeah the 355 29er rim for cross works with just the tape no problem. But we designed our rims to work with non-tubeless tires.

75 Posts
patricksc said:
What pressures are you running? I'm 165 and haven't been able to go below 40 psi without having problems.

I ran 35 in practice (and 1 lap of 1 race) the ride was great, but I lost too much air.
What's your rim setup? I run high 20s in the back (weigh 5 lbs less than you) with the stans 29er rim and tape and sealant with no burping at all. some squirm in hard corners but it's worth it for the bumps.

75 Posts
the photo below was taken from Cyclocross Magazine's website btw. Our full review is in Issue 4, which is out now.

CDB said:
Anyone have updated info regarding this prototype tire? I'm currently running the 29er version on my MTB and am quite impressed. It hooks up well, rolls fast, and is light/durable.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.