Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've got the rims, waiting on nips/spokes. Looking at the rim it looks like the eyelets are all centered. At the valve stem hole one side of the rim has the DT logo, on the other side the logos are 90 degrees from the valve stem. Is there a convention as to which side is the right (DS) and which is the left (NDS)?

It looks like those wheels that DT makes have the logos on the right (DS) at the valve stem. Is that correct?

Thanks.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
It doesn't matter which side is which if the logo placement makes sense to you. But make sure those spoke holes aren't offset. Place the rim over your head like a halo with the valve hole opposite your eyes and the rim level with your eyes. Look straight across and try to determine if the holes either side of the valve hole are spaced ever so slightly off center. I'm not that familiar with DT rims to remember.

·
Wheel Builder
133 Posts
Those rims do not have offset holes, so, in terms of wheel building, there is no right and left side.
Valleycyclist, I see too that the offset is nil or extremely hard to see, but it's still there. It's easier for me to see on the backside of the rim, but it's sooo close that I had to take a caliper to make sure. The holes on the backside still "look" dead center, but the caliper indicates a tiny offset indicating that it's an F2 rim. The difference was so small that it could have actually been within the error of manufacturing tolerance. I looked at an RR585, which has approximately the same width, and the offset visible on the backside is more pronounced.

That means the second hole to the right of the valve hole would be the starting point for the DS rear, or "Up" on the front hub.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Valleycyclist, I see too that the offset is nil or extremely hard to see, but it's still there. It's easier for me to see on the backside of the rim, but it's sooo close that I had to take a caliper to make sure. The holes on the backside still "look" dead center, but the caliper indicates a tiny offset indicating that it's an F2 rim. The difference was so small that it could have actually been within the error of manufacturing tolerance. I looked at an RR585, which has approximately the same width, and the offset visible on the backside is more pronounced.

That means the second hole to the right of the valve hole would be the starting point for the DS rear, or "Up" on the front hub.
Thanks for the update. I contacted DT Swiss about this a couple of years ago, and they told me there is no offset for the RR415/RR465 rims. As you already stated, I think the tiny offset you measured is within the manufacturing tolerance.

·
mosinglespeeder
22 Posts
Thanks for the update. I contacted DT Swiss about this a couple of years ago, and they told me there is no offset for the RR415/RR465 rims. As you already stated, I think the tiny offset you measured is within the manufacturing tolerance.
correct as I see that also
there are alot of other issues tho, if your building them up, beside eyelet offset that make it right...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did you measure your ERDs manually. Just a beginner reminder that ERD often varies a bit between production runs and rims and what nipples+spokes you use. One way to measure is to first buy the nipples and only 2 spokes of the type you're going to use. Measure the ERDs using that combo then calculate the final spoke lengths you are going to use. That can avoid annoying returns of improper lengh spokes.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
I built a set of the RR415's a few years ago with some CK hubs and DT Comp 2.0/1.8 DB spokes.

There is no offset in these wheels. Any offset is manufacturer tolerances during manufacturing.

As for measuring ERD, I used the DT Swiss spoke calculator and it was spot on. I used the published CK measurements (but verified them first) and my spoke lengths were spot on.

·
Registered
902 Posts
As for the labels (to orient which 'side' of the rim is left vs right), I would normally say you want the labels lined up with the valve on the drive side (right) of the bike, however, in the asymmetric RR440 that I just built (which has a left and right side by virtue of rim shape, not label placement), the drive side labels are offset 90 degrees. I built my front RR440 to match this convention.

If you are using two symmetric rims for front and rear, it's nothing more than style and personal choice but for tube changes I like the additional visual reference of tire and rim labels lining up at the valve stem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.