Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my wheels...22cm. Had the choice of 27.... Because I wanted a 'fast, climbing wheel', builder suggested 22. Am I going to lose anything by NOT have a 27 deep rim? I do long group rides, alternating hills and flats...I cruise at about 23-ish... But I want to get up those hills fast... My old Helium wheelset that I am currently on are very tired...
My object was to get a set of wheels that are fast, light and reliable.
White Ind hubs, Nio rims, CXray spokes...
They are not built yet, but he would not be happy to hear about a change.

·
fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
I don't think so. If you were choosing between a 22 and a 58 it might be a different story. Thats just my 2cents worth and a very simple answer. This thread may spark the debate of the necessity of a light wheel over a aero wheel on climbs less that X about of distance or if on rolling hills the inertia created by a deep wheel at speed will cancel out the higher weight. yada yada yada.......

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Psychler said:
My object was to get a set of wheels that are fast, light and reliable.
Who wants wheels that are slow, heavy and unreliable?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Hi,
I have some 22 specialty climbing wheels..Reynolds, and also some aero wheels in the medium/ low aero category...Zipp 303s. There is some difference, but it's not really significant in most conditions. The lower profile rims are lighter and brake better...Probably a function of the carbon composition rather than the shape (for the braking) They are noticably better on windy days up on the climbs..The 303s are fine, too. A bit quicker if you are out alone going hard into a wind or descending. Not noticably((except in my mind) harder to ride uphill. Noticably less stable in swirling gusty conditions. A bit harsher in the ride, but not nearly as harsh as my 55 mm Reynolds full aero carbons.
I'd go with the low profiles. At climbing speeds, aero isn't a big deal and on mountains you are more likely to encounter cross-winds. Riding in a draft aero isn't significant either.
Don Hanson

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
What is the weight difference between the 22 and 27mm rims? If its more than 100g I'd be suprised.

Now, take that number and plug it and the appropriate values for your favorite climb into one of those climbing speed calculators like at analyticcycling.com. You will probably find that small a weight difference does not have much effect on your climbing speed.

Having had light shallow aluminum rims and "mid-v" type rims, I'd go for the deeper rims as long as the weight penalty wasn't bad. The shallow rims are much less laterally stiff. Even with more spokes (usually required for a very light rim, take that into account for the weight comparison) they'll be flexy. So they will be less durable and require more maintenance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.