Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rowing machine test this AM (we call them "ergs") to start sorting out the crew for our top eight for the regatta season. 2000 meters of horrible, gut wrenching, leg exploding pain. Thought I was going to throw up. Could barely walk after.

I am clearly getting too old for this. I haven't been able to train enough (something about those 60 - 80 hour work weeks for the last, oh, 14 months) and I sure felt it. Thought I was going to die in the last 500 meters. I pulled 6:58 for the 2000 meters. Acceptable if not stellar for a 49 year old who is actually too short to be a heavyweight rower (I am about 6' and 200 lbs - that would be small for this sport). Figure I should be in the squad of 12, which will compete for the 8 spots. Somehow I am going to have to find another 5 or 6 seconds in the next 6 weeks or so. Ugh. At least I don't have another murder trial to prosecute until June.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
A sport where 6' 200lbs is small sounds like a sport I might enjoy.

Now we just have to work on getting some water here in Orange County.

joe

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
JoeDaddio said:

joe
Bunch of rowing clubs in LBC Joe. Not to far from you. All I cad say is be warned if you plan on trying rowing. It is hell!

·
Roadies Rejoice
975 Posts
oarsman said:
Rowing machine test this AM (we call them "ergs") to start sorting out the crew for our top eight for the regatta season. 2000 meters of horrible, gut wrenching, leg exploding pain. Thought I was going to throw up. Could barely walk after.

I am clearly getting too old for this. I haven't been able to train enough (something about those 60 - 80 hour work weeks for the last, oh, 14 months) and I sure felt it. Thought I was going to die in the last 500 meters. I pulled 6:58 for the 2000 meters. Acceptable if not stellar for a 49 year old who is actually too short to be a heavyweight rower (I am about 6' and 200 lbs - that would be small for this sport). Figure I should be in the squad of 12, which will compete for the 8 spots. Somehow I am going to have to find another 5 or 6 seconds in the next 6 weeks or so. Ugh. At least I don't have another murder trial to prosecute until June.
I did a 20R, 30:00 last night, that workout can make you cry.

·
Poseur
1,677 Posts
We have a C2 at home. I'm hell for the first 200 meters...............

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
i had a bunch of friends that used to row...i think rowers are up there with under-respected athletes. they did some wicked sh!t....good on ya

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Great job, Oar! You may be walking a bit funny for the next couple of days but oh well.

And, 60-80 hours a week? You deserve to be going through mid-life career burnout, not me. I thought you were going to cut back on hours???

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cruzer2424 said:
Lies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Read

This guy is shorter than me... and I'm your height.
That's mighty rare, especially in a sweep boat like an eight. He must be something of a mutant (and I mean that in the nicest possible way). It's especially tough when the rest the crew is a lot bigger. It is difficult to get all eight applying power in the same way and at the same time in the stroke. The smallest guys do tend to be in bow (biggest guys are usually in the middle of the boat), but even so it is unusual for any of a heavyweight crew to be under 6'2", let alone 6'. It obviously worked for that crew. I believe their time for 2000 meters is the fastest ever. I think the smallest guy on the Canadian crew which won the gold in Beijing was 6'3".

You naturally tend to get more variation in masters rowers. The pic below is our crew at the start of the Canadian Masters regatta in 2007. I am in two seat (numbered from bow). I think I am two or three inches shorter than the next smallest guy (except for the coxswain). Two of the guys are 6'6", and the rest are all about 6'3".

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JoeDaddio said:

joe
There is that nasty training part as well... pain is your friend, or the coaches keep telling us...

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SteveCnj said:
I did a 20R, 30:00 last night, that workout can make you cry.
Nah... give this oldish body a steady state piece and it's happy. Interval training on the other hand is something best left to the young (or to those of us who plan on denying our age for as long as we can)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OldEndicottHiway said:
And, 60-80 hours a week? You deserve to be going through mid-life career burnout, not me. I thought you were going to cut back on hours???
That didn't work out quite as planned. The trial I just finished was probably the hardest I have ever done in my entire 20 + years of practice. Took most of this week off work and did absolutely nothing, which was incredibly rejuvenating. I will be taking it easy at work and hard at training for the next few months. There is also the potential of a big career move coming up. Even better, I am looking to take two months off in the fall to go to Australia (and compete at the World Masters Games). Guess I should actually tell the boss sometime soon...

·
Roadies Rejoice
975 Posts
oarsman said:
Nah... give this oldish body a steady state piece and it's happy. Interval training on the other hand is something best left to the young (or to those of us who plan on denying our age for as long as we can)
each has it's own special rewards, earlier this week I did 30 30sec intervals, not sure either was much easier than the other.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.