Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
We are thinking about investing in our second tank of gas this year.

I've been commuting by bike for 35+ years.

Nothing special about not buying dino fumes.

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Not much. I have a Dodge Dakota pickup, and haven't moved it from its spot in the driveway in 2 weeks. There is a holly tree in the front corner of the driveway, and yesterday I noticed spiderwebs between the truck and the tree. I think the last time I used it was two Sundays ago, when I drove my MTB to the trailhead. Either that or one day a couple of weeks ago, when I had to wear a suit to the office for some meetings. I think I put about 7k miles per year on it now, and that includes driving 180 mile round trip every weekend in the winters to go skiing. It now costs $80 to fill up the 20 gallon tank. The pain of that has kept me from driving it. Plus it will be needing new brakes and tires soon, so the longer I can put that off, the better. I will have to drive it to the dealer soon, because I just got a recall notice that some electrical thing needs to be fixed.

I just changed the oil in my wife's minivan. Exactly 3k miles, and 9 months (to the day).

· Registered
5,844 Posts
Since I started bike commuting last year, I've gone from filling up my truck every week-10 days to about once every 4-6 weeks. My overall driving mileage dropped from 10,000 miles/year on average to 5,000 miles in 2007. It's also made a significant difference in our budget, particularly with rising gas prices. Also helps reduce maintenance costs. I used to get my oil changed 2-3 times/year and now I only have to do it once.

· Registered
309 Posts
I spent $107 dollars from the first of April, until the end of May (Commuted 25 days, 31 miles April/May). I have to drive for my second job, so the next two months will be expensive. The jumps in price are what kills me, The prices I paid in April, May ($2.99) ($3.17) ($3.55). I filled up last friday because I have to drive this weekend for my second job ($3.85).

No joke, I put $20 in to keep my tank to keep it at 75 percent full. The price was $3.55. From the time I told the kid give me $20, until he came back to get the $20, 1 minute tops.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
slowrider said:
...No joke, I put $20 in to keep my tank to keep it at 75 percent full. The price was $3.55. From the time I told the kid give me $20, until he came back to get the $20, 1 minute tops.
Sad but funny.

I remember buying gas for $0.21 a gallon back in 1970......

· Banned
7,191 Posts
Last year, before the baby was born, I could leave my car in the garage for weeks at a time- only had to change my oil once all year.

This year, with a baby, I gotta drive more. Can't take a baby to daycare in a trailer when it's 10 degrees... or when she's less than 6 months old...

But next year, she'll be big enough to ride in the trailer, so trips to the farmer's market and weekend errands will be back on the bike. Hopefully by then I'll also be able to convince my wife that taking our daughter to work by bike trailer is not as dangerous as she thinks...

Still managing to commute by bike 3 times a week and I've been working hard on making all my trips within 2 miles of the house by bike. I think in a month, my daughter will be ready for the trailer- she's almost walking, so I figure she can hold her head up.

I'm also limiting my gas consumption to $30 worth of gas every 2 weeks, and this year I managed to commute to work a couple times almost every week right through the worst winter on record. (thanks, MB1 for goading me into getting studded tires)

I know that where I live means I'll never really be car-free- winters are too brutal and the rest of our family lives too far away (6 hours for mine and 3 hours for my wife's). But, Our house is well located for me to bike to work, I can ride to the grocery store pretty easily and downtown is not a hard ride. So, I think I'm doing OK. I live in a city that's making serious investments in functional bike paths and is starting to work out local and regional mass transit options. Who knows- in 10 years, I might be able to hop a train to visit my family 6 hours away instead of driving.

As I watch my daughter starting to learn to walk, I am reminded that I am going through the same process- baby steps to independence.

· Ethical Nihilist
1,070 Posts
Been bike commuting for about 13 years. I'm not as hardcore as MB1 and some others on this board. I do drive/metro occasionally, more in the winter. I probably drive my car about 3K miles per year. This does not count miles with the family in the family car.

· Registered
834 Posts
Lessee....put 4K on the Corolla last year, less than 3K on the Tacoma, between the two of us. I guess I fill up about every 3 wks. Don't let it get below a half tank, or I'd have to float a loan. Things get any worse, might just park the Tacoma until I can convert it to run on natural gas, or hydrogen...whichever comes first.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I filled up my Focus today for the 1st time in a little over a month. Took 10 gallons. It gets 32-35 mpg. That's about usual for May through November. During the winter months I drive more because of road conditions.

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
I sold my car on June 11th... two years ago. So I guess the last time I really used fuel was then.

My wife still has a car, but I don't ever get to drive it. Maybe once every few months I drive it, and I ride in the car with her maybe 3-4 times in that same month. Our schedules work in such a way that it's usually easier to walk or ride our bikes wherever we go (dining out, groceries, etc...).

I notice I'm not as good as a driver as I used to be.

· Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Hard to say, since I started commuting so long ago. I rarely drive. Last week was the best though, I only put fifteen miles on my car (driving the lil dudes to daycare and back home—3 mile round-trip—before riding my bike to work). I rode between 170-180 miles last week (Monday-Friday), which is how many miles I used to drive per week before I started getting serious about riding. I don’t always pay attention to how much I spend on gasoline, but yesterday morning I put $50 worth of super unleaded in the tank and it didn’t fill the thing up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.