Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working full time since 1969, even worked my way through college (it sucked but looking back at it I am quite greatful that I didn't come out of school with buckets of debt the way kids do nowdays). Miss M has pretty much done the same.

After going through a few rounds of lay-offs in in the 90's I started working 2 jobs (just so I would feel secure). I did that until last summer. Even started my own part-time business (which has worked out great, I should have done that a long time ago).

But......

Lately friends, family and co-workers have been asking us, "What the heck are you still working for?!?"

We really didn't have a good answer other than work is what we do and are used to doing.

But it ain't any fun and hasn't been any fun for a long time.

So we rounded up all our money and put most of it in one place. Got lucky on our timing because we set it up with only a small part in the stock market. Then sat on it for a few months (and bought a second house in Florida).

On Tuesday I had a meeting with the bankers to review our finances. They looked at me and asked, "What the heck are you still working for?!?"

I didn't have a good answer.

Today I give my notice.

Wow.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Congrats... 40+ yrs as a working stiff, you've earned it!

what to do with all that spare time you're going to have?

Only in my mid-40's, and just started another job..... but SO anxious to have my financial advisor ask me that same magic question.....

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JustTooBig said:
Congrats... what to do with all that spare time you're going to have?
We will be working and cleaning things up till early summer.

Then Miss M has decided that we will load a couple of bikes and the kayak into the car and go for a drive.

For a few months.

·
Always changing.....
4,523 Posts
That is really great. Make sure you post some of those scenic pics of your cross country journey. I always enjoy those.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
That is very cool...and well earned.

Congrats.

Couldn't happen to a nicer couple.

Len

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wooglin said:
Sweet. Finally time for those long bike rides you've always dreamed of. ;)
Ya, I'm a little worried about what Miss M has in mind. 500 mile weeks were bad enough....... :eek:

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
MB1 said:
Then Miss M has decided that we will load a couple of bikes and the kayak into the car and go for a drive.

For a few months.
I see a blog / photojournal in your future -- time to bless the Lawnje with a journal of your travels and some more great pics?

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
congrats! quite the opposite story of when my old man retired.

so when are you coming through chicago then? we need to get these logistics down. i suggest a lounge ride, a-la the joe daddio chicago ride. and if you have your boat, we could do a chicago river kayak. is it kykr13 that lives in rockford and kayaks in the city?

or we could swing up to kenosha and head outta there. reel in lunch from the lake or go to tenutas. after that, slide over to waterford and see the bike you decided to buy me get lugged together.

and dont forget door county. lots of biking and kayaking can be had up there. problem is it will take you off a "cross country" path as you have to go up a penninsula to get there.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Woooooohooooooooo! :23: :thumbsup:

Congrats!

/Is pic #102 going to be an image of your resignation letter? Is that what the series of pictures have been leading up to?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Great for you!

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Congratulations, MB1- that's awesome.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Very cool. Congrats to both of you.

I'm looking forward to your velo-photo tour of the world. Can't wait for the first 1 of 5,002 posts.

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
With all that new-found free time, you will need to take up a hobby. May I suggest cycling or photography?

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts