Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
NPR: bike riding will make you live longer, but you may break a rib or collarb

Hahahahaha, of course you can get hurt if you go outside. Of course driving a car has noooooo chance of getting hurt whatsoever.
If you can do a reasonably safe commute then awesome, if the commute is insanely dangerous then no you shouldn't. Levels of risk and reward.
Bill

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
I almost got creamed on bike-to-work day due to some chain lube contaminating my brake pads... doh! I wish I had realized that before the stop sign at the end of a long decent.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: NPR: bike riding

Always do the mandatory brake function check as soon as you start rolling lol. Glad to hear you didn't get killed.

Reactions: headloss

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Kinda funny, cuz I've done both. Broke a coupla ribs mtbing and collar bone on the road. (Did other damage to my bod in other sporting activities too). So, how do you know if/when you've lived longer? If I keep riding until I keel over (or get run over), I won't know that I wouldn't have lived longer if I hadn't been riding.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: NPR: bike riding may break a rib or collarbone

Dear diary: I rode my bike again today...like Sysephus I am doomed to hell wondering...will I...won't I...will I...won't I...be destroyed by one one of these curious motorized machines?

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,985 Posts
A reasonable article. I especially agree about the no-helmet studies being crap.

·
Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kinda funny, cuz I've done both. Broke a coupla ribs mtbing and collar bone on the road. (Did other damage to my bod in other sporting activities too). So, how do you know if/when you've lived longer? If I keep riding until I keel over (or get run over), I won't know that I wouldn't have lived longer if I hadn't been riding.
I think you just look at your inactive peers in your age group. They may technically still be alive but just how lively are they?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I think you just look at your inactive peers in your age group. They may technically still be alive but just how lively are they?
They are not me. Sure I know people in my age group (60's) who have health issues and are not very "lively" but I also know many who don't ride and are healthy and more lively than me. Statistics only tell you what's true for the population, not the individual.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Breathing is good for you but you may swallow a fly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.