Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Maybe he'll join Frank Vandebroucke at Unibet.com?

·
it's olny pain
10 Posts
CNN SPORTS

"It would be big chaos if those riders remain in the race," said the manager of Basso's team, Bjarne Riis. "We have to protect cycling."

Riis noted that Basso's contract forbids him from working with doctors from outside their CSC team.

"Ivan must prove with his lawyer that he is innocent," Riis said. "I believe in Ivan but I have been forced to take the necessary steps."

said Basso was headed back to Itialy

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
rocco said:
NPR report said Basso resigned from CSC. Is this correct or another example of the bad/inaccurate reporting that the American press tends to offer regarding cycling?
Haven't seen it anywhere else. I can't get the NPR stream here, but it was with Phil Liggett, FWIW.

I wonder if there's been some linguistic confusion along the way between 'resignation' from CSC, and 'retirement' from the Tour? We do talk funny sometimes.

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
danl1 said:
Haven't seen it anywhere else. I can't get the NPR stream here, but it was with Phil Liggett, FWIW.

I wonder if there's been some linguistic confusion along the way between 'resignation' from CSC, and 'retirement' from the Tour? We do talk funny sometimes.

The report I heard was not from Liggett.

·
Registered
839 Posts
All the statements I've read said that Ivan was upset and would be fighting this. Bjarne is taking full responsibility for sacking Basso.

·
Registered
839 Posts
From the CSC Press Release:

"Maybe most of you have heard already. We had a meeting with all the teams this morning, and in that meeting, we made a decision - I made a decision - that Ivan would not participate in the Tour," began Riis.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.