Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie to road cycling, and I'm absolutely loving it. I've mountain biked for 10+ years, so I'm in fairly decent shape. I bought myself a Novara Strada from REI (I was reluctant, but great bang for the buck), quit smoking, and average 60-80 miles per week. I'm getting used to the much harder seat, but during long rides my hands and forearms will go numb sometimes. I thought I had my hydration pack on too tight, which I did, so loosening it helped, but didn't eliminate the problem.. Does the different geometry of a road bike have anything to do with it? It happens mainly when I'm in a more aggressive racing stance. Oddly enough, it's getting a little better the more I ride.

Any information, testimonies, or theories would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Re-cycled answer from another post:

Look for the usual suspects.
1) Is your seat level? If it's at all slanting forward this will often lead to hand numbness.
2) How's your reach? Rule of thumb...when on the hoods, is the hub hidden by the bar.
3) How's your core strenght? If you are a new rider, you may need to build up you ability to support your upper body with your core vs holding it up with your arms. This will come with a few hundred miles under you butt.

Scot

·
Registered
182 Posts
A couple of things come to mind....

are your gloves too tight(providing you wear gloves).
saddle to bar ratio. are you too far over the handlebars.
too cramped or too stretched out. causing weight on the hands.

Just a few things that it mght be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't wear gloves, but I hadn't thought about core strength. I am in good shape and fairly athletic, but when I bike I have noticed I'm putting decent pressure on my hands. I'll have to figure out if my setup is a little askew.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
1. make sure you fit the bike well. (this is #1 because it impacts so many other aspects of the experience)

2. get some gloves.

3. Don't keep your hands in 1 position for 3 hours. Holding a pen for an hour will make your hand tired, mix it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.