Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
a thorn in RBR's side
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is becoming a real issue, because it is happening... again.

Every time I take apart my Ultegra 6500 front hub to clean it, I lose my bearings so to speak.

why?

Why can't shimano make it easy with technical documents? All i ask is make one page with ALL the god damn downloadable .pdf's from when they first started the company.

Why does it always have to be the newest only?

Maybe I am missing something, or maybe they are idiots.

It appears that front hub can work with 11 or 10 bearings. I didn't tighten it up, but just putting the cone in without the axil, 10 or 11 doesn't seem to make a difference. I believe I haven't lost any bearings, and there were ten on each side. It also appears that the 6600 series has 11 bearings on each side. I swear, every time I open up the thing, I can't remember how many bearings are in the front. Its 9 per side in the back, but front always messes me up.

Tell me whats the truth. And if you have a link to the exploded view, please post it here.

and do it soon, before I lose them all.

Thanx

woof.

ps also, please email shimano and tell them that their website SUCKS!!!
there isn't even a "contact us" tab on their cycling website. So write them on their fishing one, found here: http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/fish/sac/us/en/contact_us.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ultegra front hub

There is space for 11 bearing balls. But on 10 there is less friction and a smoother ride.

10 is standerd in the Ultegra you did discribe.

Next time when you service the hub order 20 ceramic bearing balls for your hub (for instance at Ceramicspeed.com). Your hub life wil be prolonged bij a factor 3.

It is not only the smoother ride Ceramic bearing balls provide.

Keep them roling!

·
Registered
11,555 Posts

·
a thorn in RBR's side
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See What I Mean???????

wim said:
Here are archived exploded views. I've only got them in German, but just go by the universal Shimano codes. HB is your front hub, FH is the rear hub. Scroll until you find 6500 and download the pdf file. Edit: if you see a number with "Stk." behind it, that's how many you need. 22 Stk. = 22 each.

http://www.paul-lange.de/produkte/shimano/support/explosionszeichungen_archiv

your pdf tells me its 11 bearings. I counted them too.

Other people tell me its 10.

What gives?

Just for clarification, my ultegra front hub has been in the running since 2001, and it is from a 9 speed set. On the 6600 series Tiagra has 10 per side, while ultegra has 11.

Please help.

Woof.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Ceramic bearings not a panacea

Amadeus said:
There is space for 11 bearing balls. But on 10 there is less friction and a smoother ride.
If there truly is space for 11 bearings, why not put 11 in? It's not like wheel bearings run fast enough that any additional ball-to-ball contact will make a difference.

Amadeus said:
Next time when you service the hub order 20 ceramic bearing balls for your hub (for instance at Ceramicspeed.com). Your hub life wil be prolonged bij a factor 3..
Doubtful. The determing factor for the life of a hub is the life of the cups (cones and balls are easily replaced). Ceramic balls can't prolong the life of the cup - in fact, since ceramic bearings have a higher modulus, they create higher point stresses on the cup, and will likely cause them spall sooner.

Amadeus said:
It is not only the smoother ride Ceramic bearing balls provide.
Smoother ride with ceramic bearings? Who are you trying to impress with this mumbo-jumbo? Even the worst steel balls have a sphericity of about 200 microns (0.0002"). Sure, ceramic bearings migh have a sphericity of 10 microns, but are you seriously telling us that from the saddle you can feel the difference betweeen 0.0002" and 0.00001"? Get off it!

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
As to the philosophical question of WHY...

...Shimano only covers the new stuff, my long-standing position is that they don't want anybody fixing anything ever, so they make it as hard as possible to get information and parts, and in some cases even to disassemble the component. Much more profit for them if you just throw it away and buy a new one.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
For loose bearings it's generally one bearing short of a full load. If 11 will fit, use 10. That said, and if I was servicing a part that had not been serviced since it was new, I'd put in the number that came out. Older headsets had bearings in bearing clips and you could always put in one more loose bearing than the clip held. Cartridge bearings eliminate the guess work and, IMHO, have been a godsend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.