Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started about 2 weeks ago. Starting to experience numbness in my left hand while riding and my hand is numb for a few hours after done riding. I have not made any recent changes to my bike or the way i sit..

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Possibilities

jhuyser said:
Started about 2 weeks ago. Starting to experience numbness in my left hand while riding and my hand is numb for a few hours after done riding. I have not made any recent changes to my bike or the way i sit..

Any suggestions?
I had this problem once, and discovered that it was only aggravated by cycling. It was actually caused by sleeping on my arm. I changed my sleeping position and it went away. That said, you need to be aware if your hand is falling asleep and move it to a different position on the bar (or let it hang at your side for a few moments) so that it never gets numb in the first place.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Specifically, what part of your hand. Thumb, palm, all of palm and fingers?. Usually pressure on different nerves will numb specific areas of the hand. If it's the entire hand look at vascular (blood vessel occlusion) or pressure on the wrist.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I had the exact symptoms which in my case were caused by a partially pinched
nerve. I am using ergo carbon bars with flattish hoods and completely forgot about
the problem this year.

·
Registered
19 Posts
AH1 said:
Specifically, what part of your hand. Thumb, palm, all of palm and fingers?. Usually pressure on different nerves will numb specific areas of the hand. If it's the entire hand look at vascular (blood vessel occlusion) or pressure on the wrist.
As a vascular surgeon, I can assure you that numbness in the hand is virtually never caused by blood vessel occlusion. I say "virtually" only because I had a medical school professor who told us, "Always remember never to say never and always." Numbness in the hand is caused by a nerve problem, in this case, almost certainly pressure on one of the three nerves to the hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.