Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else ever have this? Fairly new to rollers and after riding for half an hour or so or right after getting off the bike I get numbness in my nether regions. Never have that problem riding on the road. Not sure if it's because I am putting more pressure on the seat due to my still slight unsteadiness, plus I don't stand up at all so I am in contact with the seat.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,415 Posts
"plus I don't stand up at all so I am in contact with the seat."
That's the reason

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had the same problem. I ordered the E3 saddle and it has alleviated my numbness problems (I don't stand on the rollers either). Now my problem is pain in my hands. :(

·
Registered
727 Posts
Right- as mentioned the problem is that you're in the saddle the whole time, and furthermore you might be a little heavier on the saddle, and leaning a bit more than you would be on the road- When you become more comfortable with rollers you'll be a bit more relaxed. Meanwhile, why not do some intervals? Ride for 15 or 20, then stop, get off and walk around for a minute. This will let the sensitive parts regain some composure and it'll make you get better at stopping/starting riding on the rollers as well. Don't look for a miracle-seat for this problem, make changes to your methods.

·
Registered
52 Posts
whit417 said:
Anyone else ever have this? Fairly new to rollers and after riding for half an hour or so or right after getting off the bike I get numbness in my nether regions. Never have that problem riding on the road. Not sure if it's because I am putting more pressure on the seat due to my still slight unsteadiness, plus I don't stand up at all so I am in contact with the seat.
I will stand while on the rollers for short periods of time to reduce pressure. To prevent from wiping out, I have my rollers strategically placed between a stand up freezer and the cellar wall. If I start to tip, I can regain my ballance by hitting the wall or freezer with my elbows or shoulders.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ride against one wall. It's more for piece of mind, I guess. Not quite ready to try standing up so I think I'll try taking a few breaks first.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,126 Posts
whit417 said:
I ride against one wall. It's more for piece of mind, I guess. Not quite ready to try standing up so I think I'll try taking a few breaks first.
Being somewhat of a klutz, I have never been able to stand up and pedal while on the rollers. I can pedal a lot longer than I can stand up, due to the lack of coast time, when not pedaling.

·
Registered
277 Posts
another thing is that w/ rollers - riding them smoothly requires that you 'pull up' a lot w/ your legs (correct pedaling form) which puts more pressure on your saddle.

yes, once you get used to it, you'll be fine. If you can relax, move around in your saddle a bit that may help a little too. You'll soon learn to stand up on rollers - that obviously will help relieve pressure.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I get numb on the rollers, too. It starts with my brain, then spreads throughout the body. That's why I only ride a max of 30 min. It's a scientifically proven fact that for every minute on the rollers after the initial 30, you lose 5 IQ points.

·
The view is the reward
417 Posts
whit417 said:
I have the same problem, but I stand on the rollers to relieve the pain. I'm sure the extra balance required for using rollers has something to do with it too. Even with standing every 10 minutes, one hour on the rollers is about the maximum time I want to spend on them.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Stand! If you have problems standing make sure your rollers are adjusted correctly. Use a plumb bob attached to your front axle to make sure the front drum is 1/2 - 3/4 inch in front of your axel line. Also use your biggest gear to stand on, as this will be easier for you to control.

·
Registered
58 Posts
No numbness

I havn't had any numbness since I changed seats, but I am still amazed at how much my heart rate increases when I try anything on the rollers. Standing, grabing the water bottle, or just looking around the room rasies my heart rate to the point that I have to take it easy for a few minutes to get back into the correct zone. As for the numbness try a seat, borrow one from a friend or go to the bike shop and try them until you get one that works for you. I can stay on the rollers alot longer since I don't have a reason to stop now.

·
Registered
205 Posts
numb wrist

Yeah, my wrist is numb. I got a set of rollers two weeks ago.

On my second ride, things were going great! It takes concentration, but I was on for about 30 minutes- and really working up a sweat. Just like being on the road, my glasses slipped down my nose.

Just like on the road, without thinking, I push them back up my nose.

Unlike the road, I swerve left, overcorrect right, go off the rollers diagonally, dive for the carpet and smash the crap out of my palm and sprain my wrist. Get back on the rollers in a daze, because that's what I've always done when I rash on the road- get back on the bike and head for home before I stiffen up and can't roll.

Now, this might sound terrible- and I hope it sounds stupid, cause it is, but I have gotten quite a few laughs out of it. My first time rubber-up in 2006 and it's in my basement.

Lesson learned- respect the rollers!

I guess what I'm saying is-- if you are getting sore or losing concentration, get off the rollers, take a 2 minute break and get back on. It's SO much more interesting than the mag trainer... totally cool. Just don't crash, it hurts.

Maybe someday I'll be able to stand and do fancy tricks- like drink water- but for now, I'm erring on the side of caution. I just stop every 20-30 minutes or so. Only takes a minute or so- think of it as coasting down a hill.

Another point- if you can work through the soreness on your trainer, I bet you'll be more comfortable on the road this spring.

'Meat

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
your numbness can be fixed

by tweaking your fit. play with the fore/aft and tilt of the saddle. Measure up where you are to start with, then start tinkering. 99% of numbness can be aleviated without buying a new saddle. Unless your fat.

BT

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think a lot fo it, you're just damned.

But the suggestion above Maybeck was getting to is this. The front roller is adjustable. It is supposed to be so it can handle a variety of wheelbases. But if you have it too close in, your front wheel goes up relative to your rear wheel. This will goes you to get a little nosy, meaning your taint will really feel it. If you have it too far out, your front wheel will drop, meaning you will feel it more in your arms.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Those cheesy gel seat covers really helped me....

I never have been able to spend more than about half an hour on either rollers or a trainer without the dreaded numbness and subsequent painful tingle, like when your foot goes to sleep. I've tried several different saddles, different positions, all the usual remedies.
Last year I saw one of those thick tie-on gel saddle covers on a clearance table in either Ross or Marshall's. I wouldn't use it where anybody could see me, but I bought it for five bucks and I've had it on my trainer bike (a beat-up old Trek I was going to give away) ever since. It's increased my non-painful saddle time to about 45 minutes, which is as long as my brain can take it anyway.

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
Don't listen to Cory. He's old.

Cory said:
I never have been able to spend more than about half an hour on either rollers or a trainer without the dreaded numbness and subsequent painful tingle, like when your foot goes to sleep. I've tried several different saddles, different positions, all the usual remedies.
Last year I saw one of those thick tie-on gel saddle covers on a clearance table in either Ross or Marshall's. I wouldn't use it where anybody could see me, but I bought it for five bucks and I've had it on my trainer bike (a beat-up old Trek I was going to give away) ever since. It's increased my non-painful saddle time to about 45 minutes, which is as long as my brain can take it anyway.
Little that he does on the bike, especially rollers feels good to him.

BT

·
Registered
364 Posts
Rollers are great for circuit training!

If you've got access to weights close by, rollers can be a great adjunct to weight training. Do a few intervals of cardio (20 minutes or so), hop off and do a round of weights........hop back on the rollers for 15-20 minutes, then back to the weightsand repeat as needed. It really breaks up the monotony of the rollers, gives certain areas a much needed rest, and allows you to get a great work-out!!

·
I Type, Therefore I Am
107 Posts
bung said:
Now my problem is pain in my hands.
Get yourself some aero bars. You can rest your wrists and put all the weight on your elbows. One tip, DON'T STAND IN AERO BARS WHILE ON ROLLERS!! (Yes, I did that. A little TOO machismo)

All of this pain comes from your static position while on the rollers. On the road you are constantly moving and shifting your position, even when you don't realize it. On the rollers, you just sit there and your weight "settles in" to the saddle and hands.

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
MisJG said:
All of this pain comes from your static position while on the rollers. On the road you are constantly moving and shifting your position, even when you don't realize it. On the rollers, you just sit there and your weight "settles in" to the saddle and hands.
I agree...however, realize you stole my avatar! :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts