Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to road biking, I just bought a used Trek 1000, 2000 year.

I got measured at the bike shop, so I made sure I found and bought the right size bike.

I have only ridden the bike 2 times now, and both times after about 4 minutes of riding my left foot starts to fall asleep, and after about 30 minutes its totally numb, then the other foot follows suit after that, I am also having similar problems with my hands, but on a much lesser scale, they take longer and dont go asleep like my feet.

I am trying to figure out what can be causing this, I have the seat where it needs to be, and my shoes fit good, I dont know if the stem and bars are to small far away close?

I am thinking about seeing how much the LBS would charge me to properly fit my bike, but I dont have much money right now after getting the bike and shoes, etc., so I need to try to figure it out first before going to the shop.

Any help would be awesome, I am only riding like 15-20 miles rides right now, and I cant go any farther because of my feet and hands.

Again any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

· Registered
57 Posts
Could be several things. This happens to me as well. Try cleat positions fore and aft first and your saddle position the same way. If this doesnt work, try a different saddle.

No matter what i have tried i have to keep moving my butt around, get off the saddle, and make sure im wiggling my toes often. When it gets real bad i unclip one foot and shake it out.

Im convinced its my sitting position or sit bones/ anatomy. I get the same problem when im flying some times in an uncomfortable seat.

Good luck, i hope there is a solution for you.

· Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
for the hands, make sure your arms aren't stretched too much. You might need to turn the stem over or get a shorter one, or you might need to adjust the saddle forward. Also keep moving your hands.

· Registered
2,673 Posts
on a properly fitted bike nothing should go numb or so go the theory. Suggest you read some articles by steve Hogg http://www.cyclefitcentre.com/further reading.htm . short story, saddle should be at a spot fore and aft where you can let of the bars and not fall forward, this is after you do the knee over/near the pedal spindle set up. check yesterdays threads someone provided some youtube links on fit that were interesting.

· Registered
103 Posts
Check around your LBS's for one that does fitting including cleat position. Saddle position and stem length play a huge part in comfort for the hands. As for the feet make sure your shoes are not done up too tight and endeavor to pedal in circles, pulling all the way through the pedal stroke can help a lot with evenly distributing the stress on the foot, also as johnnychimbo says wiggling your toes helps, so does moving your foot around in the shoe a little.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.