Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Depends....

It may not be the seat at all. What type of cycling shorts do you have? Good padded shorts should do the trick.

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Try a search

Neibe said:
What's the best seat to keep from going numb?
Saddle choice and adjustment is a constant topic. Do a search and all will be revealed. The short answer is that 1) saddles are very personal and what works for one person may well not work for another, 2) saddle adjustment is at least as important as saddle choice, and 3) you need to sit properly on the saddle and stand up once in a while (any time you feel any numbness).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
talentous said:
It may not be the seat at all. What type of cycling shorts do you have? Good padded shorts should do the trick.
I had a cheap pair at first and I just bought a little nicer pair and they do seem better.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
I like the Selle Italia Max Flite Trans Am

·
Registered
376 Posts
Don't forget about bike fit...

Clearly getting good shorts and a good fitting saddle (the Selle Italia Prolink works for me as I have wider "sit bones"), but don't forget about the other measurements on your bike, like reach and drop. Chances are you may have a little too much of either or both and are leaning forward too much on your bike.

I used to have issues with my Trek OCLV as it was just a little small for me. I had a fitting done and found out I needed a bigger bike but a little less reach than I was running. After the fit I also found out I had my saddle tilt just a little off. Once adjusted, I rarely have any numbness other than on really long rides. A HUGE difference.

I suggest you check out a LBS that does bike fitting (like the Serotta fit program) and let them help you. It will cost you $90-100, but well worth it in the long run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts