Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve found that if I eat pasta with fatty fatty cholesterol-laden sauce for dinner, that I have a real edge on my morning sprint-commute to work the following morning. I don’t eat breakfast before riding, no matter how early I eat before riding (even hours before) since my body tries to throw it up while I’m riding. It’s not a really long ride, roughly 17-18 miles each way, but when I ride, it’s pretty much all about going as fast as I can for as long as I can (between traffic lights, stopsigns, and traffic).

This morning I was feeling conked out halfway through my commute since I had no fatty/cholesterol-laden dinner the night before—only healthy black beans and rice in a red sauce with a balsamic reduction of onions and garlic on the side. So tonight, I whipped up some lovely bacon carbonara sauce (with extra bacon of course, fat left in the sauce) and Trader Joe’s cheese-filled tortellini noodles, and of course I had to have my onions/garlic sauteed with a balsamic vinegar and Two-Buck-Chuck-Cab reduction sauce. I know that tomorrow’s commute is going to rock.

Am I the only one with this apparent eating disorder?

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Leopold Porkstacker said:
I’ve found that if I eat pasta with fatty fatty cholesterol-laden sauce for dinner, that I have a real edge on my morning sprint-commute to work the following morning. I don’t eat breakfast before riding, no matter how early I eat before riding (even hours before) since my body tries to throw it up while I’m riding. It’s not a really long ride, roughly 17-18 miles each way, but when I ride, it’s pretty much all about going as fast as I can for as long as I can (between traffic lights, stopsigns, and traffic).

This morning I was feeling conked out halfway through my commute since I had no fatty/cholesterol-laden dinner the night before—only healthy black beans and rice in a red sauce with a balsamic reduction of onions and garlic on the side. So tonight, I whipped up some lovely bacon carbonara sauce (with extra bacon of course, fat left in the sauce) and Trader Joe’s cheese-filled tortellini noodles, and of course I had to have my onions/garlic sauteed with a balsamic vinegar and Two-Buck-Chuck-Cab reduction sauce. I know that tomorrow’s commute is going to rock.

Am I the only one with this apparent eating disorder?
I would try to find a breakfast I can keep down and limit it to 100C/hr before the ride. I use oatmeal & applesauce with fat free yogurt. - TF

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Stop trying to maintain 34mph on your commute, and maybe you'll stop the need to hurl your breakfast.

Other than that, yeah, I notice that if I eat more the day before (as well as in the morning), I ride faster.

· Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Sounds normal to me. Your mistake was not having a tasty pork product with your black bean dinner. Hard to understand how a member of the Porkstacker family made such an error. Your relatives may disown you.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Just to clarify - breakfast won't have the same effect, even if you can keep it down. It takes hours for that many calories to make their way from your mouth to your legs to fully refill them so you feel fresh like that.

Sure you could gobble a gu pack or something like that in the morning, try it if you want, but your legs won't feel the same as if you had had a real meal the night before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.