Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend is looking for a way to be a bigger part of my number one hobby......cycling. She absolutely loves reading about nutrition and to be quite honest, she's very knowledgable on the subject. Her birthday is next wednesday I'd like to buy her a cycling related nutrition book. (ontop of other stuff, so please don't tell me what a horrible person I am for buying her a book for her birthday lol).
So my question is. Do you guys have any suggestions for good cycling specific nutrional books? She knows all about the basics and even most advanced junk. She's even read some basic books on sports nutrition. But I'd like to give her a book solely referring to cycling nutrition. As always, any tips would be great appreciated!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I liked reading "Food for Fitness" by Chris Carmichael. It is not 100% cyling though. "The Paleo Diet for Athletes" by Joe Friel also seems to be a popular one with a different approach...I've not read it though.

If you want a focused biking theme, you might be better off with a general book like the "cyclists training bible" by Friel...a little bit of everything in there. Even "The Lance Armstrong Performance Program" is a pretty good read for new rider.

**EDITED BOOK TITLE**

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've edited the book title, there is a version of the book that was co-authored by Joe Friel and is specific to endurance athletes...this is the book I was referring to. :eek:

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Nancy Clark

tommyrhodes said:
Do you guys have any suggestions for good cycling specific nutrional books? She knows all about the basics and even most advanced junk. She's even read some basic books on sports nutrition. But I'd like to give her a book solely referring to cycling nutrition. As always, any tips would be great appreciated!
Nancy Clark is pretty much the gold standard when it comes to nutrition books for cyclists. She completely shuns all the funky fad concepts and explains what really works and why. She has published a number of books. Monique Ryan is another respected, non-fad author.

Any diet/nutritional concept that has a name should be avoided.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Nancy Clark is pretty much the gold standard when it comes to nutrition books for cyclists. She completely shuns all the funky fad concepts and explains what really works and why. She has published a number of books. Monique Ryan is another respected, non-fad author.

Any diet/nutritional concept that has a name should be avoided.
I've heard of Monique but not Nancy, I will have to look into her books.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/08/news/book-excerpt-the-myth-of-the-fat-burning-zone_134214

I just skimmed the velonews blurb on this book. It seems to be good. I plan to check it out after I finish this dissertation/have some chunks of free time......

The whole concept of fat burning zones and energy balance is spot on. I am interested to know his take on protein, or more specifically macronutrient balance in endurance athletes during weight loss.

P.S. I think Nancy Clark is a bit too conservative. She is pretty good, just a little too resistant to change. Some (and emphasis on some) of the points in the "fad" diets have merit. Taken as gospel and as a whole, many are fatally flawed.

(back to the data......)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts