Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Canon Fodder
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have comitted myself to doing a half in about a month. I have been working up to this for the last 3 months. I have done 2 - 1/2 marathons, several sprint tri's and 2 olympic tri's so far this summer. I have been doing bike/run bricks of 50 miles/6 miles and some 50 miles/10miles.

I bonked once on 50/6 brick due to not enough fluid/calorie intake. Mostly fluids as I mistook how warm and humid it was as I was riding and realized too late as I got into the run. I've been more carefull since then.

My real question is I would like to know what others who have done a 1/2 iron, how and when they fueled up during the race and what products they like to use.

I really have to force myself to eat and drink during an event as I seldom feel hungry or thirsty when expending high energies levels.

What type of final month workouts would you also suggest.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It comes down to racing the way you train, obviously you are drinking while doing your 50-75 mile bike rides, if you are not taking in any nutrition while training then you are cheating yourself. Same on your long runs. For olys-halfs I keep my nutrition simple, one Gatorade bottle per hour(16-24 depending on heat) , two gels per hour (eating one every half hour until the finish line),along with a bottle of plain water to swish gels and added hydration(that gives me 300-350 cals per hour). I get it all off the course, picking up gatorade water and gels as I go. Check the race info for the half you are doing and you will get the race day nutrition info, if not email the race director. Keep it simple,experiment, use it in training to know what you like & can tolerate, and for sure nail it down during training. Once you nail it down, do not change it on race day.

·
Canon Fodder
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kind of my thinking with the gatorade and gels, I have been doing gatorade and water during my rides and have started trying gels. Some go down easier than others. I see I should start taking in calories earlier in my rides. I'm also going to start trying to see if I can manage an energy bar or two.

I'll check with the race director and see what they will have on hand. You say you get it all off course? You pick up gels and G during the ride? The Olympics being my longest tri's so far, I have never seen anything offered during the ride. Is this something to expect off the race holder in the 1/2 IR?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Couple of tips, for me I use a gel flask, it takes all the mess out of nutrition and only takes a few minutes to fill,as far as bars go I dont like them because of the mess, just remember you are still wet from the swim. I try to let my heart rate settle down after transition and get into my tempo, then I start to eat, just remember you are feeding for later part of the bike and run as most of the fuel at this point is from stored carbs, I will also take a gel before the swim. The reason I say experiment is to see what works for you, that is why there is so much confusion for nutrition because its different for everyone. Try different gels, try gatorade,GU,powerbar drinks and come up with your own plan. All I was trying to do was lay out a blueprint.
When you do a half you will see gels and bottles handed off like an Indy pit stop, on the run its like a buffet,oranges,coke,pretzels,every race is different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts