Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For many reasons beyond my control, this season has been a bit of a bust as far as my cycling goes. I am able to put in some miles when time allows, but I am far from what I would consider to be 'cycling shape'. I have recently commited to an event (90 miles) which will happen in six weeks, and I need to begin step up my training now! My goal is realistic; not really to compete, but to complete, survive and not struggle. (FYI - if my training goes well, I will compete!)

I know what I need to do for my road work, but diet & nutrition will be key. I would like to loose about 6 - 7 pounds to bring me down to 175lbs. I really would appreciate advice as to what I should be eating on training days, off days, etc. Please be specific (if possible) as far as quantity, foods, liquids, suppliments, etc. If you could, I need it to be broken down to the simplest format (so a caveman could get it).

As always, everyones help and oppinions are welcome.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I'd concentrate on the training, not the weight loss. Losing weight will just make you a bit lighter, but proper training will make you faster or at least allow you to finish the event.

Just eat a decent diet. Cut out junk food, eat your veggies, make sure you get some healthy carbs and protein after long rides. Cutting out sugar and alcohol is an easy way to cut calories without losing any nutrition.

·
Registered
21,540 Posts
Losing weight

ACC said:
I know what I need to do for my road work, but diet & nutrition will be key. I would like to loose about 6 - 7 pounds to bring me down to 175lbs. I really would appreciate advice as to what I should be eating on training days, off days, etc. Please be specific (if possible) as far as quantity, foods, liquids, suppliments, etc. If you could, I need it to be broken down to the simplest format (so a caveman could get it).
It's quite simple: eat 500 calories less or exercise 500 calories more per day than you do now. Then you will lose about a pound a week and therefore 6-7 lbs in 6 weeks. Since you are training, it wouldn't be a great idea to run a bigger calorie deficit than that.

As far as the rest, you don't need any supplements, you should drink enough liquids so that your pee is very pale yellow, and you should eat a varied diet that is relatively low in saturated fat and preferably less than 25% of calories from fat. Keep lots of colors on your plate, get about 0.6-0.7 gm protein per lb of body weight per day, get a significant portion of your fats from things like nuts and seeds and olive oil, eat a high proportion of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and that should do it.

In other words, just like we were told in elementary school "science" class.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts