Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10 Luna bars; $1
2 boxes of FigNewmans; $1.50.
Total expenditure, $2.50. Gawd I love when my coworker raids the "Amish store." :D

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
I have found that eating foods provided by nature is much better than eating highly processed manufactured bars and drinks.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
boon said:
so what food provided by nature has 500 cal, fits in one jersey pocket without feeling weighed down, and can be consumed progressively without causing a mess?

boon
You forgot - and doesn't make you puke on a hard ride. - TF

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
You mean Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies aren't natural?

OK, then, fig bars it is. The snack-packs with two extra-long bars (approx 180 calories, IIRC) are great for the bike. And a box of 10 packs is $4 or so.

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
i just noticed that a bagel has about 254cal (or at least that's what the packaging says). so all i need is a couple of bagels to get 500cal. chop them up into quarters and i get mess free nutrition on the go. the sweat perspiration through the jersey pockets will increase the salt content (plus other funky stuff that goes with sweat) and make the bagels moist. yum...

boon

·
Registered
68 Posts
boon said:
i just noticed that a bagel has about 254cal (or at least that's what the packaging says). so all i need is a couple of bagels to get 500cal. chop them up into quarters and i get mess free nutrition on the go. the sweat perspiration through the jersey pockets will increase the salt content (plus other funky stuff that goes with sweat) and make the bagels moist. yum...

boon
so nasty and funny

·
Administrator
13,146 Posts
Squint said:
You mean squirrels and stuff?
LOL- I just ride with my mouth open and let mother nature provide me with free calories!

:yesnod:

·
Administrator
13,146 Posts
boon said:
so what food provided by nature has 500 cal, fits in one jersey pocket without feeling weighed down, and can be consumed progressively without causing a mess?

boon
It's the squirrel right?

:idea:

·
Administrator
13,146 Posts
Cheap- bananas, fig neutons, and anything you can find on clearance from Clif or Powerbar.

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
boon said:

boon
Less than three ounces of walnuts has 500 calories and fits well in to a Jersey pocket. Almonds also work well. Nust are not messy.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts

·
tdiclub Member
417 Posts
Do you guys acutally eat alot on ride? How long are you riding?
I have always eaten a few hours before and lightly when I get home and then a decent meal after a shower, bike prep and some chores. I'll admit I'm not out all day, w/100k I dont feel the need to eat. I do bring some crackers, nuts and figs just in case.

I reseasrched my BMI and avergage caloric use, its 1600 w/o exercise. I would think my intake on riding days is 2000-2400? Never counted though.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
But there is so liittle meat on one. You would have to carry around 10 or 12 just for a good recovery snack. - TF

Yeah, what boon said...lol....you notice I got the link for RAW squirrel!

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
I don't usually eat if I am solo....on group rides I might. My rides average 25 to 50 miles normally and even if I carry asome fig newtons I usually don't take the time to stop and eat them. Unwrapping them while riding doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
According to my computer (Sport Tracks) I can burn a couple of thousand calories in 50 miles and I know on a good day I have to up my intake by at least that. I do drink a sport drink on most days and down a mug of Endurox as soon as I get back... BEFORE the shower, can't miss the window of opportunity! I will say that at the end of 100K I am freaking starved and eat a LOT.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.