Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here's an odd post...and I haven't done any of my own research.

If you had to choose between pinto, black or refried beans, which would you choose? I'm thinking the obvious choice to stay away from is refried, but don't know much about pinto/black.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,787 Posts
tmanley said:
Ok, so here's an odd post...and I haven't done any of my own research.

If you had to choose between pinto, black or refried beans, which would you choose? I'm thinking the obvious choice to stay away from is refried, but don't know much about pinto/black.
http://www.americanbean.org/HealthNutrition/Home.htm

I always choose black beans. After checking the above link (nutrition info at the bottom), I realize that I mistakenly thought that the dark skin of black beans contained more iron. It doesn't. Pinto beans have slightly more calories and carbohydrates, but significantly more folate and calcium and less fat. I don't think it matters much either way, although refried beans can be extremely fatty... they are usually made from pinto beans mashed with cooked onions in oil (sometimes lard) and water.

·
tdiclub Member
417 Posts
that site rocks...
Regardless of your diet, beans are a cost effective load source of nutrition!

My cooking recommendations (dry beans): Wash, soak overnight (6-8 hours) in fridge, place in freezer 'till frozen, defrost and simmer 'till tender (depending on bean variety) hour to two.

I cook enough for two days or so and rotate varietys.
So many dishes... where to start, southern black-eyed pigeon peas and collard greens (spicy of course). Succotash. Chili(alarmed). Lentil roast. If this intrests you check our recipies on www.vegweb.com

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Why not refried Black Beans?

That way you can have the best of both worlds.

I lightly brown @ 4 - 5 chopped cloves of garlic in a little oil. Add Cumin, ground Coriander, and 2 sliced jalapenos. Then add 2 cans of drained black beans and mash with a potato masher or fork. I add some chunky salsa here too. I then add a @ 1/2 cup of orange juice. The citrus really adds some flavor. Leftovers are just as good or can be frozen away for later. Pile in a whole wheat flour tortilla, with a little cheese and sour cream(optional) , and lots more salsa :thumbsup: , and you've got a killer vegetarian burrito even the long gone burritoman (Think Wye Mills 1994) would envy.

Ok,so I'm not a great cook, but I like to eat and this is fairly quick and easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.