Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Roadbikereview forums - Happy November :)

I've been looking to gain more insights into cyclists and their current nutritional & supplement usage. My career has been in the Nutritonal Industry and while I've developed hundreds of products that are on shelves today getting further insights as to current usage and needs of cyclists is very helpful. Your likes / dislikes / reasons for taking etc. Any feedback and insights would be great.

Here are some questions for you:
What is your current nutritional regime you currently use ? Preride, postride, during races.

Do you take any supplements ? (Pre-workouts drinks / whey protein / creatine / other ) If so which ones ? Why do you take them ? How did you learn about them ? Have they made a difference ? If so how ?

If you have not used any supplements why not ? (Example: Limited knowledge, don't know what to take, nervous about supplements, don't feel they're safe etc.).

If you've used supplements is there a form factor you have a preference for ?
Tablet, capsule, powder. Or if it doesn't matter then please indicate.

I really really appreciate your feedback
If you want to send your reply to my email that's fine as well it's: [email protected]

Thanks so much
Best
Rob H

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I'm a believer in whole-food vegan diet. Don't use any supplements except for vitabmin B12 (all vegans are mindful of B12). I don't use supplements mainly because I cannot verify their safety and label truthfulness, and being that many of the raw sources for today's supplement product come from highly processed and refined sources from China, this makes me even more wary of supplements. For example, a product could be labelled "Made in USA" but then footnoted with something like "using imported materials" (and that to me means China).

For for fueling, I eat whole carbs, so things like yams (there are so many varieties!), potato, a little brown pasta, a little brown rice, lots of fruits and vegetables and tubers and legumes. Most of this is consumed post-ride or post-workout. Pre-workout, I don't eat much, maybe a banana for a 50 mile ride, and if it's for a 100 mile then I'd eat a bowl of oatmeal in addition.

During ride/races, I take gels and granola bars. It's pretty hard to eat when you're exercising above midlevel zone3 anyway. So really, nutrition during ride/exercise greatly depends on exercise intensity. If it's a 1-1.5 hr high intensity hammerfest, then forget during-ride nutrition.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Preride Nutrition - A PBJ sandwich and a few cups of coffee

During ride - custom blend variation of Infinite Nutrition. For shorter rides I use a customized version of their 'Speed' and for longer rides (4 hours and up) I use a custom blend of Infinite Go Far. For rides that are longer than 8 hours I have a custom blend of the Go Far that's got some caffeine in it that I'll consume 1 bottle at around the 8 hour point.

Post ride IF I am not trying to drop weight, I have a Banana, Whey Protein, Milk smoothy. The Whey mix I use has BCAAs and Glutamine in it. If I'm trying to drop weight I'll do the smoothy after rides with TSS 100 and up if I'm planning on riding the next day. If I'm not riding the next day just water after a ride unless it's a 200 TSS and up I'll do the smoothy probably.

The only supplement I take is Beta Alanine and that's 2x / day.

·
Registered
21,675 Posts
Hey Roadbikereview forums - Happy November :)

I've been looking to gain more insights into cyclists and their current nutritional & supplement usage. My career has been in the Nutritonal Industry and while I've developed hundreds of products that are on shelves today getting further insights as to current usage and needs of cyclists is very helpful. Your likes / dislikes / reasons for taking etc. Any feedback and insights would be great.

Here are some questions for you:
What is your current nutritional regime you currently use ? Preride, postride, during races.

Do you take any supplements ? (Pre-workouts drinks / whey protein / creatine / other ) If so which ones ? Why do you take them ? How did you learn about them ? Have they made a difference ? If so how ?

If you have not used any supplements why not ? (Example: Limited knowledge, don't know what to take, nervous about supplements, don't feel they're safe etc.).

If you've used supplements is there a form factor you have a preference for ?
Tablet, capsule, powder. Or if it doesn't matter then please indicate.
No offense, but should we factor in the well established fact that nutritional supplements offer nothing that is not available in food? Perhaps some convenience factor, though I don't know what is more convenient than fig bars while riding the bike and salted mixed nuts, oatmeal raisin cookies and a Coke at the break.

But that's just me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts