Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, me too. I think I remember it being a semi-acceptable term in the 80's, when there was enough ambiguity to go around... like when there were two types of rock... hard and soft.

Nowadays... Bikers are those guys with leather chaps and mustaches (or are they called bears?).

·
Registered
896 Posts
i've both lived in, and commuted(by car) in NYC for many years. what gives "bikers" a bad name are zealous bike messengers are food delivery people. almost no one in these 2 groups gives a flying f*** about rules and proper safety. the food guys are oblivious, the messengers get off on their own personal statements of who they are and how they behave.
1. the chinese foode delivery guy with 2 10lb plastic bags of food draped on his handlebars weaving the wrong way down a one-way street with a look on his face like he is stoned out of his mind
2. the too cool messenger on his franken-bike with 6 inch-wide handlebars and spray painted 404 rims. weaving and swerving so he, god for bid, does not need to unclip on his fixie that he can barely stop.

which gives bikers a worse rap? easily the messengers. at least the food guys are slow moving.

I am a firm believer in playing by the rules of cars if you want to play in the street. who's fault is it if I run you over while you swerve in and out of traffic with no reflective anything on you or your bike?

the majority of bikers M-F are not commuters. they are working in some form.

BTW, I also believe that you should pass a basic competency test before you are allowed to ride to the top of a ski mountain on the chair lift. anyone ever ski at Mt. Creek? you'll understand me if you have

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
Not all bad. I just came to this board to post a link!

I haven't read BSNYC in ages, but I think I'll check back a few times this week to see how he savages the suggestion that "it’s time for bikers to show a little civility." I, however, am not going to levy an opinion...

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Some years ago, a compromise was made in Germany. One-way streets which the authorities felt could safely be ridden two-way by cyclists were signed as such by adding this supplemental sign underneath the regular 'one-way' sign. Puts drivers on notice they are on a one-way street on which they will have legal cyclists coming at them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.