Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
I'd give my left nut to go and ride tour stages. Hell, I can write too. Maybe I can get a job?

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Beaten by an hour...

for this post.

There's no doubt most RBRers could outdo him on the bike. On the other hand he'll outdo us on the keyboard. What I like about this kind of thing is that it broadens the exposure of cycling and gives the non-cyclist perspective into the things we do, and hopefully, as well some respect.

If you go to the blog, you should click on the link "The Mountain".

It takes you to:
http://rouleur.cc/1_tourmalet.html

which is a must read for every cyclist.

All the Best......

·
Registered
520 Posts
i don't think it's sad... he just happens to have kind of an enviable schedule and checking-account size. hell, i ride an $800 dollar bike, and it nearly emptied me out financially when i bought it, so in comparison alot of you guys are about as far from me as he is from you ;)

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
I've done every Etape since 2000. Every year, hundreds of riders are shelled in the first 80 km. I'm guessing this guy will be the same and will get picked up by the buses before St. Marie de Campan. Hopefully, he'll keep with it for another year or two and try again. In the meantime, I'm hoping he knows enough to keep to the right...

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
philippec said:
I've done every Etape since 2000. Every year, hundreds of riders are shelled in the first 80 km. I'm guessing this guy will be the same and will get picked up by the buses before St. Marie de Campan. Hopefully, he'll keep with it for another year or two and try again. In the meantime, I'm hoping he knows enough to keep to the right...
I'm not one to point fingers at those who attempt L'Etape and end up in the broom wagon. I have had three successful finishes and two rides in the broom wagon. I had much more preparation even in the years when I ended up in the broom wagon that this guy has had. L'Etape is doable even for a relatively slow rider like me. My unsuccesful finishes came in 2006 and 2007 when the Etape route was significantly harder and I rode in excess of 100 miles in each of those two rides before I was caught by the broom wagon. But, there is no way that you will finish if you do not have lots of miles in your legs and a fair amount of climbing, too. Also, as Philippe's last comment implies, knowing how to ride in a pack is very import at the start of the Etape -- a mass start of 8,000 riders is not for the faint of heart or inexperienced rider. Finally, unless this guy has had some descending experience, he will be scared sh!tless descending from the Tourmalet, assuming that he survives. All I can say at this point is: Bon chance.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
philippec said:
I resemble that shelled comment (this year at least). To hell with that etape crap, getting up at 4:30 AM is no way to start a bike ride.

I'll be at the base of Hautacam making reservations for us at Le Bouic....I still owe you a dinner there. Get ready for the warm goat cheese salad....

Perhaps if I am feeling sparky I'll heckle you from Campan then ride through the back roads from Bagneres over to the base of Hautacam

·
all the gear - no idea
268 Posts
We were all beginners once...

and some of us haven't made much progress since!

I think it's great, he's having a go, giving cycling's curious appeal a wider airing, what's the harm in that?

I've done 5 etapes and still my main ambition is restricted to finishing, not walking unless traffic jam dictates etc. BTW I've finished all 5 comfortably outside the silver medal time;)

Give the guy a break - he'll have a great time, win lose or draw, just like the rest of us amateurs (and I use that word in its true sense).

Good luck to him and all the rest of the RBR etape regulars - maybe this time we'll meet up.

Charlie

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
philippec said:
:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.