Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So apparently NYC is the hip and trendy place to go these days. I have basically a day and a half coming up there with no plans and not sure what to do with it. I've been there a few times before, seen all the "must see" stuff and want to do something a little different this time. But I don't know what. Sure, another day walking around the Met and a 14lb sandwich at Carnegie Deli would be great but BTDT.

I'd like to stay in one area with a hotel (recs?) for that night without blowing a lot of time trying to get around the city. Brooklyn even? Don't know much about it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Have you taken the ferry (10 min ride) to Ellis Island? Fascinating museum that was once the gateway to millions of folks in this country.

I'm not sure if construction is finished but the Moving Image Museum is neat. It's in Astoria, Queens (a short subway ride).

If you're in town this week or next, check out the US Open tennis in Queens. Or a Yankee or Met game, or Jets/Giants pre-season.

If you get up early, you can catch the bike races in Central Park on the weekend. Or better, rent a bike and go up to Piermont and back (via Geo Wash bridge); it's a 50 mile ride round trip.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Brooklyn is pretty cool--there are some new hotels in downtown. It looks sketchier than it is, but there is a lot of work going on. There's a nice Marriott right by the Brooklyn Bridge (mom-in-law stayed there) and a new Sheraton Brooklyn next to the high-tech redevelopment in downtown Brooklyn.

There are a bunch of subway lines to take you over to Manhattan, but you are also half-way to Coney Island--not in its glory days, but still fun to walk the boardwalk...

Fulton Mall is an eye-opener--see naked commerce in action--but walking the other way takes you over to Prospect Heights & through brownstone neighborhoods until you get there. There is a great Promenade over the highway, and you have wonderful views of Manhattan from there. (That area has been in tons of movies, probably most prominently in Moonstruck.) The joke is that it is where the trust-fund couples live until they inherit and move back to Manhattan.

Going over that direction also takes you past the Brooklyn City Hall & some other civic buildings including a great open promenade/park.

Walk down from the Prospect Heights promenade takes you down to a preserved section of the old waterfront Front/Water streets. Great ice cream at the former coast guard building on the wharf (Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory) and good food at #1 Front Street. (Grimaldi's Pizza is next door, but we have never waited in line...) You can catch a ferry from here over to Manhattan (ends up close to Wall St)

Walk over the B'lyn Bridge or...

Walking under the Brooklyn Bridge takes you to DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass)--rapidly gentrifying former industrial space with more hipsters per sq ft than anywhere else in NYC. But there is a new park underway, public theater in the park and Starbucks and the like. Some cool stores as well.

For dinner, walk roughly south across Atlantic Avenue to Court Street and/or Smith Street (run parallel, so you can do an up and back). Food (and booze) heaven at prices that are about 50% cheaper than Manhattan. A fave of ours is the Cubana Cafe on Smith (#272)--a postage stamp sized place with food that you will dream about later..

Some faves in B'lyn:

Transit Museum (close to the two hotels I mentioned)

Prospect Park (the purists think that Law and Olmstead practiced on Central Park & got it right when they did this one--worth a walk, or a ride if you can get a bike. Great Japanese Garden/Botanical Garden & decent art museum as well. Not walking distance from downtown Brooklyn.

Antique shops on Atlantic Ave: not as rich pickings as there used to be--a lot have moved up to Hudson, NY but still some fun ones

A personal favorite (again not walking distance)--a Noguchi museum--technically this is in Queens but on the B'lyn side of the river.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brooklyn sounds interesting - I'll have to check it out. I'd just as soon get to a hotel and have a lot of things in a good walking distance, so I'll probably pass on Ellis Island but some day that one's definitely on the list.

Grimaldi's is probably a bad idea on a Saturday but I'll have to get some good NY coal-fired pizza at some point. Mission critical.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
The Hudson hotel is pretty awesome. They were cheap last July - their base room was $89/night if I remember. The rates seem to have gone up, now it's apparently $250/night? Maybe if you reserve further in advance, it's cheaper. Or if you reserve longer, or... yeah IDK. It's worth a look though!

If you can't stay there, their food is pretty good at the restaurant, it's not terribly expensive, and the ambience is pretty awesome. Definitely worth checking out.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
just spent the past 4 days in Brooklyn/lower Manhattan. Mostly for a wedding in Prospect Park but did quite a bit of walking in Manhattan....high line trail, SoHo, Little Italy, China Town, Chelsea, etc. Spent a day walking through Central Park (street performers are always entertaining). Brooklyn is gritty but not too bad after you start exploring a little bit...Grimaldi's pizza under the Brooklyn bridge is supposed to be good.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
paredown said:
Brooklyn is pretty cool.....and a new Sheraton Brooklyn next to the high-tech redevelopment in downtown Brooklyn
All over that one. :thumbsup:

Odds of this midwesterner getting lost and/or abducted by taking the bus from Newark to the Port Authority bus terminal, then the subway to Brooklyn? :eek:

Brooklyn Bridge, definitely. I usually hate places like Coney Island but I've always wanted to see this one for some reason - maybe the "past its prime" thing has something to do with it. Not sure if that one will fit in, but maybe.

Been to Manhattan a couple of times. Once is enough for me with Times Square, and with similar hotels to ^^^ running about $350/night (why so much more than recently?) I'm going to pass on that.

Thanks for the info.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Be trendy and ride a high priced bike through central park. A starving journalist will write about you and snide remarks on a cycing forum will ensue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts