Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read a very interesting article in the NY Times about a doctor performing a study of a section of the brain, Area 25, when stimulated with a low voltage pacemaker type device, abt 4 volts, the treatment has shown to switch off depression. Just fascinating stuff.

(Warning: the description of the procedure/treatment is a bit graphic.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/02/m...d=1&ei=5087&en=906cd16c2fe7a115&ex=1144468800

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Thanks for posting that. The mind-body connection is fascinating. Medicine is on the cusp of some great new discoveries here. Its exciting to see stigmas being eliminated...like the idea that all depressed people get depressed because of choices they make in life. At the same time, I hope that psychology doesn't shift to trying to treat everything with surgery or a drug. Some depression and other conditions should still be treated with therapy. It takes longer but the results are more "pure"...the healing occurs intnerally, done by our own bodies. There is value in this even though its not a quick fix...but its also not right for everyone.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
For some types of epilepsy...

spyderman said:
Just read a very interesting article in the NY Times about a doctor performing a study of a section of the brain, Area 25, when stimulated with a low voltage pacemaker type device, abt 4 volts, the treatment has shown to switch off depression. Just fascinating stuff.

(Warning: the description of the procedure/treatment is a bit graphic.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/02/m...d=1&ei=5087&en=906cd16c2fe7a115&ex=1144468800
People use something called a vagus nerve stimulator, which is surgically implanted. When they feel a seizure coming on, they press a button and it stimulates the vagus nerve electrically and stops the seizure. I wouldn't be surprised if you could do something similar with depression.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
robwh9 said:
People use something called a vagus nerve stimulator

I think you can buy one in those 24 hr bookstores......

·
Registered
442 Posts
They have known...

They have known for a long time that ECT has been effective in treating clinical depression, but they still do not know why it works. Nice to see they are working toward a solution.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,403 Posts
Three or four beers does the same thing for me.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,403 Posts
Thankfully, I don't need that treatment more than a few times a year. Sometimes, two beers does it. Usually, it takes three, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts