Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
Joined
·
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a six-pack of brewskies. At the grocery store. In PA.:thumbsup:
That is all.(You PA peeps and "those who know" will appreciate the beauty of that statement.)
 

·
22 going on Ancient
Joined
·
373 Posts
When did they change that law?
 

·
Game on, b*tches!
Joined
·
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't actually changed it. You could always sell them if you served food at the location (pizza places, etc) and since this store (Wegeman's) has a restaurant in it, you can just swing over to that area and make your purchase.
 

·
"El Bwana"
Joined
·
4,399 Posts
Welcome. In the Byzantine laws of alcoholic sales, PA is now just marginally better than two or three counties in Oklahoma. The next step is to overtake Utah!
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
Virginia is way back in the woods as well. Beer and wine in Grocery, hard spirits in state run ABC stores. The odd one is that all bars must be part of a restaurant and something like 60% of income must come from food. So you can't really have a traditional bar or pub. But there are quite a few odd pairings of restaurants and attached bars. One of the local mexican restaurants used to be part of a disco type dance club.
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,426 Posts
You can buy just about anything in a grocery store in Illinois...(sorry, no hash.....you have to go to Denny's for that)
 

·
haole from the mainland
Joined
·
5,962 Posts
VaughnA said:
Virginia is way back in the woods as well. Beer and wine in Grocery, hard spirits in state run ABC stores. The odd one is that all bars must be part of a restaurant and something like 60% of income must come from food. So you can't really have a traditional bar or pub. But there are quite a few odd pairings of restaurants and attached bars. One of the local mexican restaurants used to be part of a disco type dance club.
Georgia has byzantine laws as well. Once, a friend and I stopped at a quicky-type mart and were told they couldn't sell beer because they were too close to a church. That was a new one. I guess they can't trust the congregants...
 

·
Large Suburban Male
Joined
·
3,599 Posts
We can't buy retail alcohol on Sundays here in Connecticut. All our border states sell, but not here.

In PA, I always noticed that when buying in a 'restaurant' it was pretty pricy. Is the grocery beer any cheaper?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,837 Posts
jorgy said:
Georgia has byzantine laws as well. Once, a friend and I stopped at a quicky-type mart and were told they couldn't sell beer because they were too close to a church. That was a new one. I guess they can't trust the congregants...
We have similar things in VA. In Arlington, VA there is a 7-11 that doesn't sell beer because it is too close to a school. Weird.
 

·
Game on, b*tches!
Joined
·
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope. It was about $2 more expensive than at the local brewery (they sell some local mirobrews there.) But it WAS more convenient, and, as they say, you pay for that.
 

·
had it in the ear before
Joined
·
13,965 Posts
ah i remember racing the clock to the distributer in amish country. or paying out the nose at a bar and having to make three trips in and out of the bar cause they'd only let you take one 6 pack at a time:rolleyes:

I just got two 18 packs of nattie light at Winn Dixie for $8.50 a piece!
 

·
Captain Obvious
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
gov't at it's best.
 

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
Joined
·
9,402 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
You can buy just about anything in a grocery store in Illinois...
You arnt kidding. I moved here a few years ago. I can get a chainsaw, booze, new undies and something to eat for both me and the dog at my local Meijer.
Nice...
 

·
...?
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
You can buy just about anything in a grocery store in Illinois...(sorry, no hash.....you have to go to Denny's for that)
That really surprised me when I first moved here a couple years ago. I was used to beer and wine in grocery stores in Vermont, but I wasn't expecting liquor. Its nice to not have to find a seperate store. I'm still amazed sometimes by how hard it can be to find beer past 10 though in my neighborhood. Everything closes early around me.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top