Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles is it to ride around the island of Oahu? and can it be done? I would suppose you cannot rise to the North shore via Makaha. What are the difficulties?
Mahalo

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
BillyGoat said:
How many miles is it to ride around the island of Oahu? and can it be done? I would suppose you cannot rise to the North shore via Makaha. What are the difficulties?
Mahalo
Farrington Highway ends about six miles past Makaha at Yokohoma. You wouldn't want to MTB around there even though there is a dirt road. The dirt road is usually taken up by fast moving 4X4s and quads. The Dick Evans road race goes around the island by going up through Kunia to Haleiwa. The route is 112 miles and also bypasses Huanauma Bay and Koko Head. The best route for a long ride is to leave from Kailua and head NW up and around the North Shore early in the morning before traffic builds. Head to Haleiwa and get on Kamehameha Highway to go up Pineapple Hill, descend into Ewa/Waipahu and pick up Farrington Highway heading towards Honolulu. Use the Pearl Harbor Bike Path to bypass Pearl City and Aiea. Once you get downtown, cut over to the Pali and head up and over using the bypass. Descend back into Kailua. I believe that is about 85 miles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts