Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard some discussion about there being a velodrome in oakland. Does anyone think this will happen? when nancy nadel (or something) said she would build a track in oakland, was this just publicity? weather or not this is true i am going to try and get a track built in oakland. anyone have any suggestions to this?

·
Registered
190 Posts
In the last 20 or so years, the success rate for these proposals has been zero in the US.

Colorado, Fresno, San Luis Obispo, Austin, San Francisco have been in the news recently with attempts at building support for creating a velodrome in those cities.

On the other hand, much smaller countries with a lot lower GNP are building new velodromes every year.

Trinidad and Tobago recently announced plans for *two* new velodromes, New Zealand just finished up an indoor velodrome.

·
For president!
7,851 Posts
Woofer said:
In the last 20 or so years, the success rate for these proposals has been zero in the US.

Colorado, Fresno, San Luis Obispo, Austin, San Francisco have been in the news recently with attempts at building support for creating a velodrome in those cities.

On the other hand, much smaller countries with a lot lower GNP are building new velodromes every year.

Trinidad and Tobago recently announced plans for *two* new velodromes, New Zealand just finished up an indoor velodrome.
Seems strange, for SF in particular. The could throw down a concrete one in GG park for less than a million bucks. I think it would get more use than the fly fishing casting pools.

Then again, there is one in SJ, hellyer park I believe. Search San Jose velodrome for the site. It's not that far away from the rest of the bay area.

If you're talking indoor, siberian pine track type of facility, good luck getting one built....

Silas

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
there is indeed a track in San Jose.....

SilasCL said:
Seems strange, for SF in particular. The could throw down a concrete one in GG park for less than a million bucks. I think it would get more use than the fly fishing casting pools.

Then again, there is one in SJ, hellyer park I believe. Search San Jose velodrome for the site. It's not that far away from the rest of the bay area.

If you're talking indoor, siberian pine track type of facility, good luck getting one built....

Silas

and the website is at http://ridethetrack.com/ The Saturday AM classes are an absolute blast and worth doing even if you have no intention of racing, $5 for the class and $5 to rent a track bike if you don't have one. If you complete three classes you can ride in the practice races on Wednesday nights...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.