Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
168 Posts
I've seen a sunglasses-goggles hybrid for sale in a ski shop that would fit your needs. They were large-sized sunglasses that had a ring of foam around each lens, and they were designed to keep the wind out of a skiiers eyes. Sadly, I forget who made them. If you want to look like Lemond, though, you'll need the Oakleys, and no, they're definitely not sold anymore.

· What the Hell is going on
5,904 Posts
Great Scott!

likeguymontag said:
I've seen a sunglasses-goggles hybrid for sale in a ski shop that would fit your needs. They were large-sized sunglasses that had a ring of foam around each lens, and they were designed to keep the wind out of a skiiers eyes. Sadly, I forget who made them. If you want to look like Lemond, though, you'll need the Oakleys, and no, they're definitely not sold anymore.
I believe you were thinking of Scott Ski goggles. BTW, Oakley makes a similar ski goggle.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
steel515 said:
In the old pictures, Lemond wore some type of oakley goggles. Are these still sold?
They weren't goggles, just big sunglasses, as that was the style and oakley was the first. I believe oakley called them "Pilots". Briko and Rudy Project make goggle versions of their glasses for XC skiing. I would think they'd be uncomfortable for cycling, better to go with a proper fitting wraparound model. Dig up photos from the early 90's, there are some awesomely cool shades, I still have some original rudy's ( think fondriest and ballerini at deltongo) and briko zen/bolds (ala the mapei 1-2-3 roubaix vintage). Not as light as today's sunglasses, but heavy on style.

· Registered
453 Posts
Look at mountaineering sunglasses for that sort of thing. I wore that style for years (Bolle Mountaineering Glasses) and I never got anything in my eyes. They're pretty comfortable too, and the only pair of glasses I've had that lasted more than a few months without breakage.

· Kilt wearing, old man
1,679 Posts
Oakley Pilots? :confused: OMG, I still have mine. I bought them back when I was doing competitive pistol shooting. Back in those days, they were the only wrap lensed glasses around that offered ballistic protection of any degree.

· I Type, Therefore I Am
1,842 Posts
Factory Pilots

Those are the Oakley Factory Pilots that Greg wore in the '80s. I still have mine in a drawer, but I don't wear them anymore. I'm no expert, but I would bet they don't even make parts for these anymore, much less the actual frames. They were very comfy and kept my eyes free of dust and wind even with contact lenses, but alas, times change and this is a style for the '80s.

Any number of cycling specific sunglasses out there will do what you want and look a lot better too. Unless you are going to a "Greg LeMond look-alike" contest, it's probably best to let these fade into the history books.

· Registered
168 Posts
JaeP said:
I believe you were thinking of Scott Ski goggles. BTW, Oakley makes a similar ski goggle.
Coulda been Scotts for sure, but they weren't goggles. They were basic two-lens wraparound sunglasses, with hook earpieces, only they had foam around the rim of each lens. Unlike ski goggles or swim goggles, the foam wasn't designed to make a seal - it was supposed to sit near your face. From a distance, they looked exactly like regular sunglasses.

· Administrator
13,152 Posts
Plenty of old Oakleys sold on E-Bay. Prepare too look like a dork if you ride in your factory pilots as they are not flattering on most head sizes (way too big).

:)

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I've got nothing that old, but my M-Frames say "Oakley" on the side, instead of the more modern "O". They're from around 1991.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.