Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a cloudy/rainy/low light lens for my Oakley radars. I am torn between persimmon and yellow, but not sure whether to spend the extra money on the HI or the non HI version.

Are the HI versions worth it or a gimic?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Go with the yellow, no question about it if you are looking for a lower light lens. The persimmon is designed as their all-around/do-everything/basic/entry level lens without a specific light type in mind.

I use Oakley goggles for snowboarding and can tell you that the high intensity yellows are where it's at when the light gets flat on the ski hill. These have a higher light transmission so they let more light through to your eyes than the persimmons do. If you use the yellows when it's SUPER sunny out it's going to burn your eyes a little, keep that in mind.

Check this out, it should help your decision
http://oakley.com/innovation/optical_superiority/lens_tints

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Persimmon is nice but yellow will knock your socks off. Low light? Get the yellow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am not a fan of yellow. I have tried a couple of different times. I almost always go to a clear on my radars or I wear another pair that are an indoor/outdoor tint.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the persimmon (non-HI) and use them for my early morning rides... Dark when I'm leaving and as I am headed home and the sun is starting to shine and they work really well for me in that mixture of conditions...

It was a toss-up for me between these and the HI yellows... I was trying to do it on a budget since I had an old set of Half Jackets frames that i used when I was MTB'ing, so I went with the non HI and don't regret the decision.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm just going to say that you ought to try yellow high-vis lenses before you buy them. I'm sure tons of people like them, but personally they give me a headache.

I might not be the only one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
jaysc said:
I'm just going to say that you ought to try yellow high-vis lenses before you buy them. I'm sure tons of people like them, but personally they give me a headache.

I might not be the only one.
Yeah, you're not alone with the headaches from yellow lenses but it might be because you had them on in bright(er) light. I had hi yellows while snowboarding on Mt. Hood in the summer and I could barely open my eyes due to the brightness of the sun and its reflection off the snow. Mid-winter when it's overcast though is a different story, I used my hi yellows on the hill 90% of the time and love them.

It's also the main lens my mom's boyfriend uses at his gun club's target range due to the contrast yellow lenses will give you.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yellow. But don't think you can get away with it for night riding. Even yellow is too dark. For everything else it's fine. I use yellow and clear only this time of year.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
I'll cast a vote for regular persimmon. It is great for dark rainy days. If you do not ride at night it will be fine. The HI version has and iridium coating to squash glare, which might be important if you are doing stuff on snow or water, but for riding I do not think the HI persimmon or yellow really make a difference.

Two weeks ago I rode the Whistler Gran Fondo and it was dark when I first got on the bike to ride to the start. I had the persimmon lenses for that day and I could see adequately which surprised me as I had not used them in the dark before. For out and out night riding I would choose clear, but for low light during the day then I would choose persimmon.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I usually ride at dusk (6ish) until it's dark around 9. I love the yellow lenses, they smooth out all the shadows and make things a lot brighter. It started to rain yesterday and I still thought it was sunny out until I started getting wet! I took them off and thought "man, its dark out here".

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks awesome reply, thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. Going to plan on persimmon for changing light road rides, and yellow and clear for the woods. Radar Ranges only have the HI option in the persimmons, they don't seem worth the extra moeny. Still have no clue the differenve between range, path, and pitch, but like the ranges.

The Vr28 black I have been using seem awesome for all the sunny and mixed rides I have done so far. I can pass on the polarized lens and get some low light options.

Thanks....

Eric_H said:
I'll cast a vote for regular persimmon. It is great for dark rainy days. If you do not ride at night it will be fine. The HI version has and iridium coating to squash glare, which might be important if you are doing stuff on snow or water, but for riding I do not think the HI persimmon or yellow really make a difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts