Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there really any problems when looking through these lens for cycling etc?

id be looking at getting the vr28 black iridium lens

Cheers :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
I just got mine with polariazed positive red lenses last week, and they have been great so far. I have yet to experience a downside.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I was just talking to my LBS about these frames. Some of us are of the consensus that the lower frame on the jawbone really gets in the way of seeing the road. Most cycling glasses do not have a lower frame and give you unlimited view of what is below. Just something you may want to test out while you are actually riding...before you buy.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have both polarized and regular lenses for my Oakley radars and have noticed that I have a tougher time reading my garmin and when riding through shadowy areas with the polarized lens. It is not something that I find prohibitive, but I prefer the non polarized lenses for riding. The Jawbones do look awesome.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
+1

No polarized on the bike. Doesn't work for me because of the LCD readouts and occasionally some weird road surface distortion.

·
\m/{-_-}\m/
787 Posts
I've always used Oakley polarized lenses on the bike with no problems. I use Flak Jacket XLJ's for both road and trail and I've also worn XX's.

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
I don't care for the Polarized lenses on a bike for multiple reasons. Use the VR28 Black Iridium lenses in sunlight and the Titanium Clear when cloudy or dark. The Titanium Iridium Polarized work great for driving.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses.

gah its so hard to decide, im either going with the matte white jawbones with the vr28 black polarized

or go custom with matte white frame and either vr28 blue iridium/fire and persimmon

·
Witty custom user title
552 Posts
Just got the matte white/jade iridium JBs....oh, wow. I've been an Oakley honk for a long time. The Jade is one of the best lenses I've ever had the pleasure of looking through. Oh, and it's amazing to look AT too. :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I ridden with Oakleys for over 20 years now and have always prefered no frame on the bottom of the lense.
I have ordered a pair of Radar pitch with the red polarized lens and have had to send the first 3 pairs back due to marks on the edges on all three but they have ordered 3 pairs in hopefully they are right this time
I have never had a problem reading the garmin with the polarized lenses
The black iridium is the darkest you can get so wouldnt be great for cloudy days

But I will wear nothing else (will report back on the qlty issues asap)

Twiggy

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I love the Jawbone and the Scalpel. I find that the bottom does not get in the way with road viewing at all. I have Blue Iridium Polarized and Transitions lenses for the late afternoon to evening rides. All are fine with my Garmin 705.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
E 12 said:
Just got the matte white/jade iridium JBs....oh, wow. I've been an Oakley honk for a long time. The Jade is one of the best lenses I've ever had the pleasure of looking through. Oh, and it's amazing to look AT too. :)
hey how do find the Jade lens in sunny cloudy rain conditions etc?

because im thinking that the yellow lens is going to be quite useless so i might have to also buy a G30/persimmon.

·
Registered
152 Posts
IMHO, black iridium is a bit dark for cycling (i've owned several oakleys with those lenses over the years). I also hate polarized glasses. I can't read the radio in my car without turning my head sideways, and I have no hope that my bike computer would be any different. It's already so damn small (probably to save weight…or some other stupid thing), I don't want to make it any harder to see.

I've owned exactly 1 pair of polarized lenses in my life. I threw them away after about 2 days. Never again. Polarizers are for photography and physics classrooms, not glasses.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I have the polarized VR28 reddish lenses. No problem reading a Cateye Strada wireless or a Vetta RT 88 computer.

And as others have commented, it is really nice having no frames at the bottom. I have a few riding glasses but my M-Frame hybrids are really the best for cycling. It's very, very nice just having one solid lenses without any interference in your sight. Yeah, the regular M-Frames are kind of ugly, but there are a few types of the hybrid shapes that are nicer.

Your glasses, but I think the Jawbones are insanely ugly. I really wonder if people would dig them as much if the Pros didn't wear them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts