Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks:

I'm about to get some Oakleys and the M frames fit my head very well. Now I need to decide on the lense shape. I am down to the Strike or Hybrid shape and am also trying to decide between vented versus non vented. Any suggestions on which shape would be better for cycling and should I go vented or non vented? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
I like the Hybrid S lense the best with the regular Hybrid coming in second. Vented, at least for me, seem to work well in all conditions. I'm not sure if it helps much but I like the vents, even in really cold weather.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
936 Posts
Sweeps. .

scorpionking said:
Any suggestions on which shape would be better for cycling and should I go vented or non vented? Thanks
I use the sweep lens' as I wear contacts. The others are too damn small and let a lot of air in. Oh yea, I have both both vented and non vented. I rarely use the vented ones,
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
137 Posts
rip off. I've owned the real ones and the fakes, which cost a fraction of the price, and I liked the lenses in the fakes better. But, there are some crapy fakes out there that have worse lenses and slightly distort things. And, while oakley claims theirs can take a shotgun shot I've never been shot in the eye with a shotgun so I cant vouch for that. lucky me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
scorpionking said:
Hi folks:

I'm about to get some Oakleys and the M frames fit my head very well. Now I need to decide on the lense shape. I am down to the Strike or Hybrid shape and am also trying to decide between vented versus non vented. Any suggestions on which shape would be better for cycling and should I go vented or non vented? Thanks

Non-vented Strike lens for me. I think the tint is much more important then the shape.
 

·
Old, slow, and fat.
Joined
·
3,897 Posts
ishmael said:
rip off. I've owned the real ones and the fakes, which cost a fraction of the price, and I liked the lenses in the fakes better. But, there are some crapy fakes out there that have worse lenses and slightly distort things. And, while oakley claims theirs can take a shotgun shot I've never been shot in the eye with a shotgun so I cant vouch for that. lucky me.
I bought a bunch of Heater lenses when I worked for a shop way back when. Went down to Mexico a few years ago and noticed that the Faux-kleys are very, very similar to the real ones. I've got frames for all my good lenses now... Toss the lenses that come with the Faux-kleys and viola! new pair of glasses!

M
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll also check out the Sweep and Heater shapes.

For lense tint I was thinking of going with the color Fire Iridium. I do a lot of riding in sun and semi sunny days and this seems like a good compromise with decent sun protection, let's in according to Oakley 16%. Any comments on whether Fire Iridium lens color would be a good all around choice with lots of sun and mixed sunny days?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
I have the heater lenses, but I don't like the look of them on my face--I've got a skinny face and small head. I think my next lens will be a hybrid or a strike. As a side note, I had a really old 1st gen. M-frame in "black rain" which cracked right in the middle. I glued it back together with superglue, cracked again a few years later, repaired it again the same way. Anyway, after the ear socks had totally disintegrated and turned into sticky goo, I called Oakley and asked what repair options they had. I could send the frames back in and they would credit me $40 toward a new pair of complete set M-frames, or I could send the frames in with $40 and they would send me out a new pair of frames in the color of my choosing. I went with the second option and now have a brand new set of frames in metalic blue with previous heater lense of ice iridium (can't buy that combo). I really like them. Glad to see they still stand behind their product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Toothpick said:
sweep, non-vented, gold iridium, polarized
You know, I have about six lenses and the only ones I can't used to are the
gold iridium, polarized. They do funky things with dark colors- like turn them red. I know it must be due to the polorized lens, do you notice the same thing or am I nuts?

TH
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
936 Posts
Yes.

scorpionking said:
Any comments on whether Fire Iridium lens color would be a good all around choice with lots of sun and mixed sunny days?
I have MANY different lenses, and I use the Fire Iridiums the most by far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Truth Hurts said:
You know, I have about six lenses and the only ones I can't used to are the
gold iridium, polarized. They do funky things with dark colors- like turn them red. I know it must be due to the polorized lens, do you notice the same thing or am I nuts?

TH
I don't really notice the difference in dark colors so much as they do, to me, seem to make green a bit more vivid. I like these because they're not SO dark that I can easily use them on days when it's not so bright, yet still get the benefit of the light filter when it is. I used these a good bit for golf before on the bike. I just really like these lenses. I thought I had lost a pair, and I immediately replaced them with the same thing-of course about 3 mos. later to find the "lost" pair.
 

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
Joined
·
7,158 Posts
scorpionking said:
Hi folks:

I'm about to get some Oakleys and the M frames fit my head very well. Now I need to decide on the lense shape. I am down to the Strike or Hybrid shape and am also trying to decide between vented versus non vented. Any suggestions on which shape would be better for cycling and should I go vented or non vented? Thanks

Is it just me? I personally use the Hybrids. Have a few lenses of various colors. All are Hybrids, and all are vented. But I feel like that lens shapes are just for looking cool. Whichever fits your face better, go for it.

For me, only 2 of my lenses really see lots of use. If its sunny, then I run the Black Iridium lenses, if not, then its Persimmion.

p.s. go for the pro one.

p.p.s. mine are white and I look DAMN sexy while wearing them.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top