Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mean to rant, but I'm really, really dissatisfied with Oakley, with both the quality of their eyewear and the quality of their customer service.

It started with a pair of prescription frames on which two sets of the rubber ear pieces cracked and fell apart, the hinges repeatedly loosened (yes, I had them adjusted at my local optician), and the cheap paint rubbed off leaving the glasses looking like a dime-store special pair of reading glasses. The optician I bought them from told me I needed to deal with Oakley for warranty issues; Oakley told me I needed to go through my local authorized Oakley dealer... :mad2: You get the idea.

To make a long story short, after talking to Oakley customer service, who basically told me to go screw myself (as the glasses were a few days outside of their lousy 1 year warranty, I'm not kidding...), I wrote a letter to their company and never received a response. Eventually the hinges loosened up a heck of alot, and I had a cathartic moment in which I crushed what remained of the glasses under my boot. I was angry that a pair of $450.00 glasses that were sold to me as being "the most durable frames anywhere" bit the dust so quickly, but good riddens. Anyhow, that's all water under the bridge, as I resolved never to buy another Oakley product ever again.

Then today my wife comes home and says "hey look at what happened to my sunglasses." She's had a pair of Oakley Minutes for a little over a year and a half. She took the glasses off her face this afternoon and heard a crack, the result is in the photo below. Now, I'd understand if the glasses failed at the hinge, but they cracked in the center of the frame. It should be noted that my wife babies her glasses and lenses, she uses the cleaning cloth that came with the glasses, and she stores them in a hardshell case that could bear an elephant's weight.

Given my previous experience with Oakley's customer service, I'm not going to waste my time calling them. Luckily the shop we got the glasses from is top notch in every way, so I'll see what they can do.

It isn't my intention to bash a company needlessly, but rather to voice a concern about a substandard set of products. I do believe that a company is ultimately responsible for the quality of their products and the quality of their customer relations. Oakley has not impressed me in either regard.

Is it just me, or have other people had bad experiences with Oakley and Oakley glasses?

And on a more positive note, what sunglasses company would folks recommend for better glasses, warranties, and customer service?

Thanks in advance for the input.

·
MING
419 Posts
smith

i too got tired with a oakley run around. so i got a pair of smith's 4 years ago. in that time ive broken a set, didnt have a receipt, but i went through my local dealer and he got me new shades in under a week.

interchangeable lenses, polite customer service and a good return policy wins my money anyday.

·
Registered
443 Posts
this is so true. Oakley spends so much moolah on marketing, they seem to have neglected their products. I've already had 2 M frame lenses PEEL out on me. The first one was replaced under warranty, but the second cannot be replaced since 1 year has passed.

In fact, when I brought the first one back for replacement, Oakley asked me this question "Do you sweat when you use these glasses? Must be your sweat" To ask this question about my use of SPORT glasses is just so neanderthal. Anyway, so i've ditched the M frame shaded lenses and got a pair of clear lenses so that peeling will not be a factor. My sunny day glasses are now a pair of Rudy Project Kerosenes..and guess what, 2 years of use and no peeling of the lenses.

Oakley sucks. For REAL bombproof glasses and lenses, go for a different brand like RUDY PROJECT. Customer service is better too.

However, I love the way the Pro M Frame si designed...i won't part with it..yet. Maybe I'll get a pair of Rydon SX glasses next month haha :D

·
classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
Rudy Project

Sasquatch said:
Oakley sucks. For REAL bombproof glasses and lenses, go for a different brand like RUDY PROJECT. Customer service is better too.

However, I love the way the Pro M Frame si designed...i won't part with it..yet. Maybe I'll get a pair of Rydon SX glasses next month haha :D
Rudy Project has great customer service, I can vouch from my personal experience. They are honest about their turnaround time if you ever have to exchange your product for some reason (such as accidents), and they stand by their product, no questions asked. I found that their lenses are durable, and I never had to baby my Rudy glasses.

·
Just one more switchback
237 Posts
Smith and Rudy have the best CS

I have had four pairs of Oakleys. When they break, I send them back and pay $20 for a replacement. This does not include the lenses though. Not a bad deal considering how rough we can be on our glasses.

I sent three pairs of Smith's back and told them that I thought one pair should be covered under warranty but the other two pairs I had broken and I would pay for their replacement (it was a reduced cost but I don't remember how much). They returned three brand new pairs to me at NO cost. That is how you show people you care.

I have been wearing Rudy's lately because my wife's team gets a good deal on them. I returned one pair due to the nose piece coming off after 1 1/2 years and they replaced them at no cost. They have great service too.

I will continue to wear my Oakleys until they break again and then I will toss them, their CS doesn't stand up to the others.

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
I will never buy Oakley anymore as I have had the same problems of the frames just breaking by taking them off.

The best sunglasses I have ever had I got free from an industrial supply rep. They have these glasses that are great for riding in but are bomb proof. I have had them for 2yrs now and I toss them everywhere, not a scratch on them or anything.

The best part is, if I need another pair they are less than $10 from their catalog.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
I am a moron...

I hear ya,

I had a pair of Oakley M frames and the frame cracked in like 6 spots. This was about 6yrs ago. I got the same, "Do you sweat when you wear them" response. I said, "Well, yea?" Then I never heard from them again.

Then my wife got me a pair of Monster Dogs. I love them. They are great and they were on closeout at the local Bike Line for $35.00. I wear them everyday, but they weren't conducive to riding or running b/c they slipped. I wanted glasses that had rubberized earpieces, so...

I got a pair of Half Jackets. They SUCK. The lenses are virtually impossible to keep clean. The lenses pop out. The hinges came loose after about a month. They just kinda all around stink.

Then I get to hear my riding buddies rave about their Rudy and Specialized glasses and I am down about $250 to Oakley. Why do I keep buying....he markeing machine has me by the neck. Hopefully, when these break, I can declare independence from coolness and get something that works.

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Sasquatch said:
IMy sunny day glasses are now a pair of Rudy Project Kerosenes..and guess what, 2 years of use and no peeling of the lenses.

Rudy Projects (two sets) are my primary sunglasses- I like them better then the Oakleys I have (one set demoted to car duty, the other to back-up status). I got very good customer service from them as well.

:thumbsup:

·
pass the hot sauce
197 Posts
Mr. Peabody said:
...Is it just me, or have other people had bad experiences with Oakley and Oakley glasses?
A gal I ride with on a regular basis has a pair or racing jackets that are just over 1 year old... just last week she was complaining to me that the coatings on the lenses seem to be wearing off. I ride with pro M frames and have been really happy with them. I don't see much that can go wrong with them, however.

On another note, one of the biggest LBSs in town, who has very solid customer service, stopped carrying Oakley within the last year. Wonder if they were seeing many issues... next time I am in I'll ask.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've never had any issue with Oakleys, I have sat on them a few times and broken the arms when I have been able to just go to the local Sunglass Hut without a receipt or any proof of warranty and either get replacement arms on the spot or have them order them in from Oakley for me. Although that is a few years ago now as I'm generally not so much of a dumbass these days.

My current half jackets have seen quite a lot of use in both extremes of weather without any issues, Okaley is the one "brand" that I stick by as I've tried others and have always came running back to Oakley.

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
And yet another vote for Rudy's. The frame on my 3 year old Tayo's broke when I did an endo on the mtb. I also lost a lens in the process. With no questions asked, they took them back and sent me a new pair of glasses with a full set of replacement lenses for $50. The lenses alone were $35, so this was a very good deal. Total transaction time = 10 days. Can't get much better than that.

I also have a pair of ZeroRH+ that are not too bad. I've had them less than 1 year, but no problems so far.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
I've been wearing Smiths for the last 12 years or so- I started after my pair of "indestructable" oakleys self destructed after less than a month.

I wouldn't know anything about how good Smith's customer service is as I've never had to use it- in 12 years, I've gone through 3 pairs, and the only time they've broken is when I do something really stupid like drop them off a lighthouse (long story).

·
Registered
838 Posts
Or you could do what Jeff does: go to the flea market, stock up on imitation Oakley M-frames for $5-$10 a piece. Then when the cheap crappy real Oakley frames break, remove the decent lens, pop them in the similarly cheap and crappy phoney Oakley frame (throw away the phony lens), and wear them until the Fauxkley frame breaks. Repeat.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Lucky for me, Oakley's design has always given me a headache. So I've failed to fall into that trap.

Went the same route with Ray Bans though - two pairs of $110 glasses broken after 8-12 months. Once they replaced them, another time they were no longer in their catalogue so they told me to take a hike.

Bolles - had a nice pair of "Kickers" that went a couple of months before the coating wore off.

These days, I do my shopping at the "2 for $22" kiosk in the mall. I'm tired of shelling out $100+ for plastic glasses that last less than 1 year. I know this doesn't do it for prescription (as in your case) but I've even dumbed those purchases down to the "$2 for $98" at Dr. Barnes.

I'm done being a slave to Asian plastic molding factories.

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
My Bolles that I've had for about two and a half years has something really
weird happening to them - it looks like the adhesive that holds the rubber
nose pieces to the frame is starting to LEAK and the nose pads are really
close to detaching. Think I'd better get them looked at. Totally weird.

Bolle Paroles for anyone who cares.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.