Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently ride DA 7900 on my bike and am thinking about upgrading the components. Note, I have a Rotor Powermeter crank, so that part wouldn't be changing. I have yet to find any objective reviews comparing Super Record vs. DA 9000. All DA9000 reviews have been great, and people love Super Record. None of the individual reviews help. What I'm hoping you all can help me with are all the objective points of feedback on one gruppo vs. the other. For example, I routinely hear "one is more likely to find Shimano replacement parts if you're on the road." But any campy owners who really say they've run into that problem while on the road? I also hear/read that "campy can be rebuilt". Once again, any campy owners REALLY take apart and replace your rear der. or do you just buy a new one? I hear DA9000's front shifting is amazing... but anyone running both setups and can say "oh yeah, it's light years ahead of SR?"

I personally love the ergonomics of the SR shift/brake levers combined with the fact that I grew up in the 80's cycling and there's something about the campy brand that makes it seem like a lifelong dream.

For the record, I have probably read every posting and review possible, so while I'm all for this group saying "hey, have you checked out such-and-such site" the fact is, I probably have. What I'm hoping you all can provide are real-life experiences by people who came run into (or not run into) the issues that some might say are reasons to hold back on one vs. the other. Sorry for the long post but thanks in advance!

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
I currently ride DA 7900 on my bike and am thinking about upgrading the components. Note, I have a Rotor Powermeter crank, so that part wouldn't be changing. I have yet to find any objective reviews comparing Super Record vs. DA 9000. All DA9000 reviews have been great, and people love Super Record. None of the individual reviews help. What I'm hoping you all can help me with are all the objective points of feedback on one gruppo vs. the other. For example, I routinely hear "one is more likely to find Shimano replacement parts if you're on the road." But any campy owners who really say they've run into that problem while on the road? I also hear/read that "campy can be rebuilt". Once again, any campy owners REALLY take apart and replace your rear der. or do you just buy a new one? I hear DA9000's front shifting is amazing... but anyone running both setups and can say "oh yeah, it's light years ahead of SR?"

I personally love the ergonomics of the SR shift/brake levers combined with the fact that I grew up in the 80's cycling and there's something about the campy brand that makes it seem like a lifelong dream.

For the record, I have probably read every posting and review possible, so while I'm all for this group saying "hey, have you checked out such-and-such site" the fact is, I probably have. What I'm hoping you all can provide are real-life experiences by people who came run into (or not run into) the issues that some might say are reasons to hold back on one vs. the other. Sorry for the long post but thanks in advance!
Bottom line is mostly about how each shifter feels in your hands - egonomics. Both groups function well so that is not a differentiator. As far as rebuilding it is realistically only about the shifters themselves, not other parts of the drive train. Shimano is essentially "no user serviceable parts inside" while the key wear items are available (and relatively easy to do) for Campy shifters.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
I spent all my formative years riding Shimano (Ultegra and DA, 7-8-9 spd), then I switched and was riding Campy Record and Chorus (all 10 spd). In 2011 I went back to Shimano DA 7900. Honestly, both companies make good product. I cannot say I would really choose one over the other for just performance reasons. I went back to Shimano because I wanted a change and at the time I was not interested in Campy 11 spd. Of course now Shimano is going 11 spd, so I'll hoard some 10 spd parts and go another couple of years.

In terms of serviceability, as Kerry points out it really is just the shifters. Campy shifters can be serviced, Shimano can not. I personally have never rebuilt an Ergopower shifter, mostly because I know a local shop mechanic who will do it for me in an hour and sometimes time is money. But my rebuilt shifters have functioned like new. Also worth noting for serviceability I think the Campy Ultra-Torque cranks are not as user-friendly. With Shimano, it is just a simple outboard BB and when the bearings are toast one can toss the BB and put another one in quite easily. Or buy a King and the greasing tool and be eco-friendly. With Campy UT, the bearings are pressed onto the crank spindle so one needs a bearing puller and some form of press or slide hammer to install. Tools are available, but it does require investment. Campy bearings versus a Shimano BB is about the same cost, so for me the Shimano design is the winner because it does not require the extra tools. Not that the OP will care because he has a Rotor crankset.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I rode with shimano STI for over 15 year, i finally switched to campagnolo for exactly same reason as you are considering campagonolo. Very happy i switched, it perform great, no regret. However, i believe the next drivetrain choice of mine will be Shimano for me, it just suits my hands a tiny bit better.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Having setup, maintained and ridden both SuperRecord and DA9000 I will say both are great. Front shifting is truly better with Shimano. Less so with non Shimano rings, but still noticeably better. I also think rear shift quality is better on DA9000, but this is solely my preference. Campy SR has more mechanical feel and more feedback. New DA when setup correctly is almost clinical in its feel and precision. I'd let the lever ergonomics make the call for you. Use the one that feels better! Keep in mind DA9000 was designed to be down shifted(brk levers) with fingers held HIGH on the lever & it truly does feel and function better when used like this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.