Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Orange Saffron Chicken. Ran out of gas before it was finished and had to throw it into the oven, but it came out OK. Pre-cooking, on the spit and then [almost] done before I threw it in the oven to finish. Served with wild rice. Leftovers for lunch today.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MB1 said:
I am not sure it is "BBQ" if gas is involved.
Don't be a hater. I've got nothing against coals, but gas is just easier so I end up doing it way more often than if I had to stoke up a fire each time and then wait for it to cool down. I did use a smoker box with some hickory in it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Who trussed up the chicken?
Looks like a really nice job.
It ain't getting away.

But dood, raw chicken on wood cutting board?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
immerle said:
Who trussed up the chicken?
Looks like a really nice job.
It ain't getting away.

But dood, raw chicken on wood cutting board?
I trussed it...it was kinda a hack job, but I do it so rarely it's hard to get really good at it.

//I did wash the board well after that.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
mmmm i'd eat it!

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Don't be a hater. I've got nothing against coals, but gas is just easier so I end up doing it way more often than if I had to stoke up a fire each time and then wait for it to cool down. I did use a smoker box with some hickory in it.
There is BBQing then there is cooking.

Looks like you did a nice job trussing and cooking that bird.

I'd eat it. :thumbsup:

edit; if it don't look like this it probably ain't BBQ

·
Registered
642 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I trussed it...it was kinda a hack job, but I do it so rarely it's hard to get really good at it.
No, no.
I tried it once and not allowed to do it anymore.
The wife doesn't want me cursing in front of the kids.
Any body who can do it, got one up on me.

Washing or not, you gotta be careful with chicken.
I got one of those, well i don't know what it's made of, plastic sorta, cutting boards.
You don''t have to worry about bacteria, but it's murder on the knives.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gutfiddle said:
mmmm i'd eat it!
It was only 145F when I took the pic...had to throw it in the oven for a bit because I was out of gas.

//On the plus side, gas has gotten a lot cheaper. Filled 2 tanks for what it cost to fill one last fall.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
immerle said:
Washing or not, you gotta be careful with chicken.
I got one of those, well i don't know what it's made of, plastic sorta, cutting boards.
You don''t have to worry about bacteria, but it's murder on the knives.
Yeah I know. I probably should pay more attention to that kinda thing, but I've been lucky so far. I also discovered that if I'm gonna cook whole chickens and turkeys that a cleaver might be a good investment. Hard to cut off the neck and wingtips with even a super sharp chef's knife.

As for the trussing...I just followed the directions on my Weber's Big Book of Grilling cookbook. Didn't end up looking as elegant as the picture in the book, but it worked. Basically put the string under the bird while lying on the back--then loop each drumstick and then flip the bird and cross over to pin down the wings and tie.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:

not coal, WOOD/SMOKE!

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Omgwtfbondagebbq

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Nothing wrong with gas. But take it from a Memphis guy, gas is grilling, charcoal is BBQing.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
As an official Texas resident, I can confirm that what you did was cook a very nice chicken. There was no BBQing involved.

Recommendation: Get a Big Green Egg. We didn't even know we needed one till we got one as a wedding gift. It is OUTSTANDING.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Loraura said:
As an official Texas resident, I can confirm that what you did was cook a very nice chicken. There was no BBQing involved.

Recommendation: Get a Big Green Egg. We didn't even know we needed one till we got one as a wedding gift. It is OUTSTANDING.
If you give me a spare thousand I'll run right out and get one. :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Nice Bocephus. I did near the same, but roasted mine in the oven. Also, my chicken had two legs, one breast and four thighs, because that's the way I like it. I ended up using saffron strands, cardamom pods and cinnamon.

But maybe we can bemoan the lack of good BBQ in the area. It sucks, right? I heard really good things about this place in Longmont, the Rib House, but it's not that great. Daddy Bruce's and KT's stink, as do the other chains. There's a place down in Aurora called Jim 'n' Nicks, which is a transplant from Birmingham, AL that does things right for the most part, but it's too far away. I'm all alone without BBQ, and it makes me sad.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I also discovered that if I'm gonna cook whole chickens and turkeys that a cleaver might be a good investment.
Good, heavy-duty, sharp poultry shears. Dislocate the joint, keep trimming and you're done. Goes quickly. I really like the 70% off ones I got when Linens and Things recently went out of business for about six bucks. I use 'em all the time for this, green onions and herbs.

//I still get freaked out when I dislocate the joint, seeing as I did that to a shoulder about eight years ago. I highly recommend not trying that at home.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jorbenweb said:
Nice Bocephus. I did near the same, but roasted mine in the oven. Also, my chicken had two legs, one breast and four thighs, because that's the way I like it. I ended up using saffron strands, cardamom pods and cinnamon.

But maybe we can bemoan the lack of good BBQ in the area. It sucks, right? I heard really good things about this place in Longmont, the Rib House, but it's not that great. Daddy Bruce's and KT's stink, as do the other chains. There's a place down in Aurora called Jim 'n' Nicks, which is a transplant from Birmingham, AL that does things right for the most part, but it's too far away. I'm all alone without BBQ, and it makes me sad.
Daddy Bruce's is the biggest ripoff going. KTs will do in a pinch, but I can make better ribs than they do easy.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've tried the porksammich and the ribs at all those places and was bitterly disappointed. I've smoked pork shoulders twice at my apartment, but I have to do it at night because the neighbors don't like it and it's illegal.

·
yup
2,726 Posts
Eugene Oregon. Papa's Soul Food. Now, I realize for you southerner's it's no problem to find good bbq & soul food. But for us PNW'ers it's nigh impossible.

Consider then if you will, Papa, and his f*kcing delicious BBQ and assorted extras:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts