Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently discovered the 230 line, a bus that departs from within 1/4 mile of my house and gets me to within a mile of the office. A 2-bike rack on front lets me ride the rest of the way.

So far its a nice option to have on days when I don't want to arrive sweaty and need a shower, requiring dragging a messenger bag along with a change of clothes inside. Just grab some coffee on the way, hop on the bus and cruise to work. No muss no fuss.

Some notes on my new found transportation:

I'm *usually* the only Caucasian on this particular bus line. That doesn't mean anything, just an observation.

Bus drivers generally don't know sh*t about where they're going. Unless the question is "Is this a bus?" you will probably stump them. E.g.:

I knew one departed at 8:38am per the schedule. The first one being at 8:16am. On my first day I rode up early to the waiting bus (the bus stages at the first stop by my place). I asked the female driver "There's a bus leaving at 8:38 right?"

driver: "This bus leaves at 8:16"

me: "Rrrrright. but the next one leaves at 8:38?"

driver: *blank stare*

driver: "there's a schedule of all the bus lines you can look at..."

me: pedals away to return at 8:38. Too much to ask/expect? No interest in helping? Really?

So far on various bus lines I've realized the drivers just have their routes memorized and are on auto-pilot. Any questions about cross streets, or which stop is closest to a certain nearby street results in the same deer in the headlights look.

Maybe I'm just a total newb in the land of automobiles and every other bus rider "gets it". Maybe for $1.25 I'm getting what I pay for: a no-frills ride from Point A to Point B.

Either way, the pros are that I can carry my coffee with me, get caught up on This American Life podcasts and get in some sweet people watching. As a side note to people watching: if you need a boost about where you are in life, ride a city bus around town and realize how good you have it.

*stop requested*
hw

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
A general rule for bus drivers is "you can be late, but never early." If early, they'll leave before the scheduled time. Passengers might show up at the appointed time, only to find the bus has already departed. Thus...the rule.

And yes - you are paying $1.25 for a no-frills ride.

·
POGUE MAHONE
1,111 Posts
do you think they drive the same route every day 365 days a year?
how many different routes are in the area you live in? they might drive dozens of them in a month
do you expect them to have them all memorized including cross streets?
do you think they have a built in GPS in their heads?

if you need to know the schedule I'm sure you could look it up on line before hand...

rather than posting idiotic rants:D :p

1.25 WTF thats free and you expect a limo

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Export A said:
how many different routes are in the area you live in? they might drive dozens of them in a month

if you need to know the schedule I'm sure you could look it up on line before hand...

LOL...this thread reminds me of the blank stare I got when I asked the ticket booth lady at the SF BART a question about what train to take. In the end I had to just buy a ticket (no small feat as they must have hired a chimp to do the user interface for that machine) and take my best guess what to hop on. As it turned out there was only one choice.

·
Premium Member
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
easy there Sparky,

as I said I'm new to this. Maybe pulling out a schedule of THEIR line might help me out? It was just me, the driver and an empty idling bus. Wasn't like i was holding anyone up.

and my limos cost more than $1.25, everyone knows that, sheesh. :rolleyes:

Export A said:

·
Registered
606 Posts
You might find it consoling to know that even if the arm-thingy comes off of your front wheel, the bike doesn't fall off of the rack. At least it didn't for however long that happened to my bike, which I swore I put on right.

Our drivers here are pro's, too. One non-caucasian driver even pulled over & told one of Al Sharpton's converts to shut up when he started on a presumably drunken tirade. As amusing as it was, I just got up & moved away from him.

·
POGUE MAHONE
1,111 Posts
My younger brother is a bus driver , I get it all from him:D

His favorite question from passengers is "where does this bus go"?

You better pack a lunch if you ask that question to a cross town route driver they will give it to you turn by turn and landmark by landmark.

After 10 or 15 minutes of routing details they will look at you and ask you just where is it you're trying to get to:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
public transport in London is a great equaliser - everybody is on it - bankers, crack addicts, families etc. - there are no class or race distinctions

bus drivers in London drive one route - they know it well - if you ask them to tell you where to, er, get off they will

it's all good

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
My LA bus ride story.

First, some background on my bus riding history: I grew up in the Baltimore but went to high school in the suburbs. I had to take regular mass transit as opposed to a yellow school bus -- I could take two different routes, but both of them included a transfer and traveling through bad neighborhoods. When I started working as a lawyer, I took the bus from home to the office -- it was a direct shot from home on one the few "nice" bus lines in Baltimore (i.e., I was not the only person on the bus who had showered that morning and was not collecting a welfare check). So, riding the bus is something with which I was (am still am) familiar.

In the early 1990s, I was spending about a week every month in LA working on a case for a Maryland based client. Our local counsel were in Downtown LA and I usually stayed in one of the Downtown hotels when I was in town. A group of lawyers from the LA firm took me to dinner one night on Melrose. Everyone had had a lot to drink and the lawyer who was supposed to drive me back Downtown lived not too far from the restaurant. I politely (but with self-preservation in mind) suggested to my somewhat drunk designated driver that it would make more sense for me to take a cab Downtown and he could go directly home. As I walked out of the restaurant, a bus appeared with "Downtown" on the front of it. I asked the driver where he was going Downtown and his route passed within a block or two of my hotel. I jumped on and rode Downtown. I was the only Caucasian on the bus and the only person that did not appear to be a maintenance/cleaning person. The bus was clean, my fellow riders were quiet and I had an uneventful ride.

The next morning when I arrived at the Downtown LA law firm, my designated driver asked if I had a problem finding a cab. I told him that I had taken the bus. He exclaimed: "No one takes a bus in LA." When I said that there were other people on the bus, be said: "Well, you know what I mean." Several people gathered around me and asked about my bus ride. One person said: "I never have taken a bus, what is it like." Before I could answer, another person said: "I never have met a person who ever has taken a bus in LA." The general concensus was that I was crazy, that I was lucky to be alive, etc. Now, I know that there is a general disdain for bus riding among people who have jobs and can afford to own a car. But, the reaction I encountered in LA was far and beyond anything that I ever had heard anywhere else.

You definitely are marching to a different drummer in LA. My guess is that your co-workers find riding a bus even weirder than your riding a bike to work.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Sojourner2005 said:
What, exactly, does the race of the drivers or passengers have to do with anything?
Well, I don't know about LA, but here in Baltimore, most white people ("I not prejudiced, BUT . . . ) will not ride public transportation. Most will deny that it has anything to do with race, but it is my general observation most white people are very uncomfortable when they are a distinct minority in a group of black or brown people. It's not right, but that's how I see it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Sojourner2005 said:
What, exactly, does the race of the drivers or passengers have to do with anything?
I have no problems w/ being around people w/ different levels of melanin (translation: a different skin color). When I worked as a contractor in Kuwait, I was in a Filipino church and loved it.

But as far as mass transit- my sister lives in central Philly, and says that everyone rides mass transit there. But here in the suburbs, it's just the TYPE of people that you're around on a bus- most of the patrons, to include my own skin color, are the kind that openly brag about how they told a police officer "You don't have any right to search me!", etc. So now I just drive my $1,400 4-wheeled status symbol when I can't ride my bike.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If it means nothing, then why state it?
I'm *usually* the only Caucasian on this particular bus line. That doesn't mean anything, just an observation.
It obviously means something to the Op as he took the time to mention it. I'm just wondering how this adds to the story of his riding the bus...or the fact that in lx93 thought it was important enough to mention that his bus driver was non-caucasian.

·
banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
Sojourner2005 said:
If it means nothing, then why state it?
It obviously means something to the Op as he took the time to mention it. I'm just wondering how this adds to the story of his riding the bus...or the fact that in lx93 thought it was important enough to mention that his bus driver was non-caucasian.
Maybe, like me, he is amused when he is in a situation where he is the only......(fill in the blank).

You need to lighten up. My wife is the first person to accuse others of being a racist. She is the most racist person I know.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.