Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ticked off about 56 miles along the Pacific coast yesterday. During that time, I had a chance to make a few observations:

1. Some cyclists like to stop in the middle of the bike lane and block the entire lane when there is plenty of sidewalk or shoulder for them to move to. There are plenty of obstacles to deal with on the coast and riders should be a little more aware of their own lane-blocking activities.

2. Runners and walkers like to use the BIKE lane for their activities, too. While I am not opposed to this, they do present some navigational challenges.

3. 'Chatty' cyclists are kind of annoying. It is one thing to talk with buddies while riding or at stop lights. However, there often seems to be one rider who just won't shut up and yaks away no matter what, usually at the top of their lungs.

4. Some people should not, repeat not, wear tight fitting clothing during exercise.

5. Some people should, repeat, should wear tight fitting clothing during exercise.

6. It is always encouraging to have riders ask if you need help when stopped along the road. (Pulled off, out of the bike lane, of course. :D )

7. Surfers don't always realize that their boards extend ahead of and behind their bodies when they are looking to cross the street. When they turn from side to side to check for traffic, your path could suddenly be blocked by said surfboard.

9. Most motorists appreciate it when you move enough out of the way that they can make a right turn at an intersection. A friendly nod or wave as they pass is always appreciated on both sides.

10. Riding your bike on a warm sunny day, along the Pacific coast is one of the coolest things to do ever. I never get tired of it, even with a few challenges thrown in there.

:thumbsup:

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
i did 35 on Saturday and damn near collided with a pack of 4 or 5 cyclists in the middle of the road. they had just climbed a tough hill and were stopped at a flat area before the top and just starting to get back underway, pulling out without looking ahead, in my lane, as i was starting my descent. i had to cross the yellow line in an S curve to avoid them and then had to quickly move out of the path of an on-coming car.

all because they wanted some shade and to rest after the "grueling" climb. maybe 200 feet in a 1/4 mile.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
asciibaron said:
i did 35 on Saturday and damn near collided with a pack of 4 or 5 cyclists in the middle of the road. they had just climbed a tough hill and were stopped at a flat area before the top and just starting to get back underway, pulling out without looking ahead, in my lane, as i was starting my descent. i had to cross the yellow line in an S curve to avoid them and then had to quickly move out of the path of an on-coming car.

all because they wanted some shade and to rest after the "grueling" climb. maybe 200 feet in a 1/4 mile.
You need your own reality show! I mean, I'd watch it.

:)

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
tconrady said:
You need your own reality show! I mean, I'd watch it.

:)
my wife used to think i was prone to hyperbole, until she went to DC with me when we were in college. after witnessing a massive car crash in front of us, coming across a dead body in the tidal basin parking, and watching a police chase on 295 on the way home, she reconsidered her position. some years later while in the city, at my buddy's night club, a patron from the bar next door was shot to death in the parking lot, right as we were walking out the door - that's when she decided to stop coming to the city with me.

but mostly a reality show with me would be about getting banned everywhere.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Rider5200 said:
3. 'Chatty' cyclists are kind of annoying. It is one thing to talk with buddies while riding or at stop lights. However, there often seems to be one rider who just won't shut up and yaks away no matter what, usually at the top of their lungs.

4. Some people should not, repeat not, wear tight fitting clothing during exercise.
you are univited to the chicago lounge ride

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
asciibaron said:
after causing a massive car crash, throwing a dead body in the tidal basin parking, and leading a police chase on 295 on the way home, she reconsidered her position.

but mostly a reality show with me would be about getting banned everywhere.
Let's see. Did you really cause a massive car crash, throw a dead body in the tidal basin and lead a police chase on 295? All in one weekend? Damn, your good.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
point of order:

Rider5200 said:
1. Why do cyclists stop in the middle of the bike lane and block the entire lane when there is plenty of sidewalk or shoulder for them to move off to?
this is a question, not an observation.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
onlineflyer said:
Let's see. Did you really cause a massive car crash, throw a dead body in the tidal basin and lead a police chase on 295? All in one weekend? Damn, your good.
that was just a 7 hour period...

a weekend would have included a bank robbery, a knife fight, and the insemination of the demon seed in at least 3 women. a dwarf would have been present at minimum one of those :D

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
Rider5200 said:
I ticked off about 56 miles along the Pacific coast yesterday.
Yeah? What'd you say to it ... "Hey, PCH, that double yellow line makes your asphalt look fat!"?

Definitely agree with Observation #4. And probably #5, too. Need pix to be sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts