Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
This doesn't answer the original question but here's what happened to my 4-yr old offset rims - Bonty Mustang ASYM mountain bike rims to be exact. This happened at almost every spoke hole. The sideways split was right along the inside support rib (could be seen in a hacksawed cross-section only) as the rib probably caused a stress-riser. No more OSB rims for me!

I think OSB rims are a solution looking for a problem. How many times do dished wheels fail because of their dish?

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
alienator said:
You're making a pretty large assumption, here, that it was the fact that the rim had offset spoke holes that caused the failure. That, unfortunately is not in evidence, nor is there any reason to believe that is the case.
No other rims that I have ever seen (other than OSB) have an internal radial rib*. These cracks (about 20 out of the 32 spoke holes) were right along the edge of the rib. I've seen many perpendicular rim cracks (radiating from spoke holes) but never a radial crack. I'm sticking with my assumption. I ran my pics and assumtions past a ME and he agreed with my theory.

*I don't know for sure that all OSB rims have internal radial ribs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts