Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Stogaguy said:
I understand the theory behind rear rims with the spoke holes drilled off-center (OC). My questions are as follows:
  1. How much difference do these really make in reducing the dish of the wheel / increasing its strength?
  2. Why are these not recommended more often in threads concerning “bullet proof” wheels? People seem to recommend Deep Vs instead.
  3. Velocity makes the Aerohead OC. What other OC rims are available?
I am desperately trying to catch up on equipment advances after ten plus years out of the sport. Therefore, this question is meant more a discussion prompt than a call for specific advice regarding a specific wheel build. Thank you in advance for your input.
Other OC rims available.

Alex Crostini
Velocity Synergy
Other rims are parts of prebuilt wheels like the Hyperons, some Bontragers, some Ritchies and more.

The concept does work. On average, the tension is raised by 20-30%. It can always be an option for a heavier rider looking for suitable rims. The mains advantage Deep V rims have is the increased aerodynamic performance. On flast and rolling terrain the Deep V rims will be a little faster than shallower rims. Deep V rims (and similar) should be considered by more "light" riders.

When considering shallow, offset rims like the Aeroheads for a heavy rider, use 32 or 36 spokes in the front and 36 spokes in the back wheel. Increasing the spoke count and using lighter gauge spokes is always a better option than fewer heavier spokes.

-Eric

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Mike T. said:
I think OSB rims are a solution looking for a problem. How many times do dished wheels fail because of their dish?
Wheels don't fail because of their dish. The reduced dish of an offset rear rim adds to the lateral stability of the wheel. It is not the most important part of making a good wheel, but it does have a positive effect.

-Eric

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Mike T. said:
No other rims that I have ever seen (other than OSB) have an internal radial rib*. These cracks (about 20 out of the 32 spoke holes) were right along the edge of the rib. I've seen many perpendicular rim cracks (radiating from spoke holes) but never a radial crack. I'm sticking with my assumption. I ran my pics and assumtions past a ME and he agreed with my theory.

*I don't know for sure that all OSB rims have internal radial ribs.
All OSB rims do not have the internal rib. The most common (Velocity Aerohead OC) does not. WTB has an internal rib in their non offset rim so the technology is not limited to offset rims.

-Eric

1 - 3 of 3 Posts