Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a phone call into McClean & Co. asking them if the tubes were made in the USA or in Uzbeskistan? They haven't returned my calls. Just wondering if anyone knows? I've been told by my local shop that they are worried that the tubes made today are not up to snuff, since they moved the manufacturing operations over to Uzbekistan about a year ago. I did a little bit of research and apparently Uzbekistan is a world leader in carbon prodcution, but they have been criticized for putting out a shoddy product. It seems they mix their carbon w/ polyurethane!!!! We all know what this will do the integrity of the tube!!! I need to find out if this is true or just a rumor. In my opinion Uzbekistan carbon is low grade and has no place on my "made in USA Trek"

·
Registered
602 Posts
???

Although it's been recently disclosed that the tubes are sourced out from Mcclean in Utah, I think the buck stopped there. That would be a very strange location for Trek carbon tubes to originate. And polyeurethane?!? Where did that come from?

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Does it matter?

It’s soapbox time………

Does it really matter where the tubes are made? Is there something magical in the air in Salt Lake City that allows McClean to produce better carbon fiber? Just because the tubes or the raw carbon might be made in Uzbeskistan, Taiwan, China, or Hoboken doesn’t make them worse………..

If you want to support an American company, that’s great but it is impossible to have a 100% American made bicycle. Even if the tubes are made in Uzbeskistan(I don’t know and don’t care), doesn’t mean they are of lesser quality than a American made product…

·
Banned
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You make a good point Dave, it doesn't matter where they are made. But it does matter (to me at least) if they are jeapordizing my ride by adding low grade polyurethane to the product. It can make the product unsafe, and I'm simply inquiring as to any validity to the possible "rumor." I am not.. and I repeat, I am not making a nationalism issue out of a safety concern, but thanks for letting me clear that up.

·
Non non normal
10,157 Posts
Make room for me up there on the soap box

Everyone was ranting about beautiful italian welds several years ago and how great they were and blah blah blah like the tawainese are too dumb to learn how to weld.

What is going to be the mystique factor soon

Man, what a beautiful glue job those italians (you fill in the country) do. They really know how to glue up a frame. What craftsmanship.

If the parent company is backing their product the same and there is no reduction in quality then ultimately we get a great bike for a smaller price and/or the company makes a larger profit.

If a company wants to pay for expensive manufacturing labor in the USA (even though we want to import more cheap labor from Mexico) then have at it. They won't be around too long, because we Americans talk one way but we buy the other way (at least the vast majority). By the way is Cannondale using carbon now? Adapt or die, or maybe claim bankruptcy again.

Dave Hickey said:
It’s soapbox time………

Does it really matter where the tubes are made? Is there something magical in the air in Salt Lake City that allows McClean to produce better carbon fiber? Just because the tubes or the raw carbon might be made in Uzbeskistan, Taiwan, China, or Hoboken doesn’t make them worse………..

If you want to support an American company, that’s great but it is impossible to have a 100% American made bicycle. Even if the tubes are made in Uzbeskistan(I don’t know and don’t care), doesn’t mean they are of lesser quality than a American made product…

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
intrrwrldchmp said:
You make a good point Dave, it doesn't matter where they are made. But it does matter (to me at least) if they are jeapordizing my ride by adding low grade polyurethane to the product. It can make the product unsafe, and I'm simply inquiring as to any validity to the possible "rumor." I am not.. and I repeat, I am not making a nationalism issue out of a safety concern, but thanks for letting me clear that up.
I hear you but even if the tubes are made in Uzbeskistan, there is no proof that they use polyurethane to make THESE tubes. Maybe some supplier uses polyurethane to make carbon golf shafts or tennis rackets.

·
Non non normal
10,157 Posts
I am not sure about bike tubes but in the boating world you can use a variety of cloths and resin. There is carbon, polyester, and kevlar cloths with a multitude of weaves. There is also epoxy resins and polyester resins.

I think the one of the main reasons for carbon is weight. They make very strong boats out of the old polyester resins and cloth.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
bigrider said:
I am not sure about bike tubes but in the boating world you can use a variety of cloths and resin. There is carbon, polyester, and kevlar cloths with a multitude of weaves. There is also epoxy resins and polyester resins.

I think the one of the main reasons for carbon is weight. They make very strong boats out of the old polyester resins and cloth.

I agree. Most the Google searches I found on Uzbekistan carbon yielded carbon dash kits and ground effects for automobiles. Polyester resin would work fine in this application

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
My personal feeling is that buying a nice bike has a lot to do with buying into a fantasy/pipe dream. If it's emotionally important enough for an individual to care where it's made, he should be able to rely on the manufacturer to report the truth to him.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
divve said:
My personal feeling is that buying a nice bike has a lot to do with buying into a fantasy/pipe dream. If it's emotionally important enough for an individual to care where it's made, he should be able to rely on the manufacturer to report the truth to him.
Where do you draw the line? On a Steel frame, if Reynolds makes their tubes in Asia but the manufacturer brazes the frame in the US, is it American or Asian made? If the carbon fiber cloth is made overseas yet the tubes and/or frames are layed up and glued in the US, where is it made?

I agree with you on fantasy/pipedream. When LOOK moved the manufacturing from France to Africa, I was concerned until I bought an African made LOOK. I've owned French, Asian, and African made LOOKs and I cannot tell the difference in quality.

Trek is a great company and I seriously doubt they will put inferior products on the OCLV frames. They have too much to lose

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
The only difference I could see in where the tubes are made is weather. Trek is going to spec a certain quailty of parts be used in the construction. That point it moot. The weather on the other hand makes a bigger difference in construction and finish. The relative humidity and atmospheric pressure can make a huge difference in how the carbon sets up, as well as how a paint will look when finished. I talked to John Cobb about having my frame refinished, and he said it is hard to tell how long the wait would be due to the fact he won't paint a frame over 85% humidity. He says the finish isn't as durable when the relative humidity is too high. I opted against him painting the frame since his spray boothe is in Louisiana and the humidity is almost always higher than 80% and didn't want to wait for months to get the frame back. That being said, I would assume the curing of carbon tubes could hold the same truths, which would explain the factory in Salt Lake City. Very low humidity and lower pressure altitude.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Dave, I'd draw the line where the parts actually begin to resemble parts of a frame. I don't consider a frame "Made in USA" when the tubing is drawn, butted, and cut to size in Taiwan and merely put together in the US. Then you might as well buy Made in Taiwan.

LOOK for instance is upfront regarding the origins of their frames. You can base your purchase on whatever perceived merit of one of their frames and consciously choose not to be concerned regarding the place of origin.

·
Registered
21,787 Posts
This whole thing seems like a troll to me

Uzbeskistan? How about Transylvania? Elbonia? Further, to my knowledge, expoxies and urethanes are not compatible, so what exactly is being suggested by saying that PU is being added to the mix? This whole thread (or at least the question) smells funny to me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Gee, Isn't the alluminum used in Easton tubes mined in Finland, and how about the steel on from a Waterford, couldn't that be from a strip mine in Japan? It's all rubbish! And if we're talking about quality here, isn't American notorious for making some of the crappiest cars in terms of quality? I suppose an argument could be made on the basis that buying a foreign made/produced bike takes away an American job, but really we've got G-dubb-yah to thank for that....

It's about Fit, Preformance, and what makes you drool, not where it's made.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I suppose being misled can sour a purchase however, if the watch tells time does it truly matter where it was made.

I guess this is one of those 200-response threads that just runs around in circles.

In the end I think I'll just glue the "Made in Italy" sticker on my TCR and tell everyone "it's a special prototype!" That way they'll know that I spent way too much on a bike and that I'm embarassed of the origin-haha!!

·
Banned
936 Posts
Location of Manufacturing is a Big Deal. . .Yea, Right

RemingtonShowdown said:
I suppose being misled can sour a purchase however, if the watch tells time does it truly matter where it was made.

I guess this is one of those 200-response threads that just runs around in circles.

In the end I think I'll just glue the "Made in Italy" sticker on my TCR and tell everyone "it's a special prototype!" That way they'll know that I spent way too much on a bike and that I'm embarassed of the origin-haha!!
Funny for sure. . .If the TCR Composite was "made in Italy" it would cost 3K for the frame and fork. . .Look at the Wilier Karbon 2. .Same make up: "lug-less" and MSRP is $3200 for frame and fork! :eek:

·
The Right Wing
843 Posts
This is pretty funny

divve said:
Look at it this way. It's like buying a Swiss watch and finding out it was actually made by Seiko in Japan. In certain instances the country of origin plays an integral part in the drool-worthiness.
First of all, the poster is a troll. Nobody else would say that we all know what polyeurathane can do to a tube. Truth is, we don't. Very few people do. Anyone here care to tell us what is in the resin used in OCLV tubes? Polymers are indeed rocket science.

And another thing. People don't buy swiss watches because they are made in Switzerland, They buy them because of what they are, automatic mechanical movements. Seiko does not make such an instrument. Now some people will pay a big premium for a quartz watch from Breitling, or some other Swiss outfit, but some people are truly foolish.

If his OCLV was made of aluminum, he has a gripe, but Ubeckistan? Really.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Actually Seiko does make some automatic watches for instance containing their 7S26A movement....and paying big for a quarts or any other Breitling is rather foolish IMHO....but this isn't a watch forum.....

To get back to my original point, I tried to explain that country of origin can play a significant role in a purchasing decision, leaving the specific merits of OCLV tubing or the possible origin of it for what they were.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Let me put it this way...

The way I look at it, everyone is buying a brand. It doesn't matter where it is made. It is what is badged onto the frame that counts.

As long as the company is willing to stand behind their product, it shouldn't matter where it is made right? If you really wanted to look into it, you wil be amazed what you will find out there. You can buy any part of most brands from their OEM in Asia or anywhere else in the world for much cheaper and probably close to manufacturer's costs. Unfortunately, you don't get what stands behind the brand; the testing, the sourcing, the risks, the warranties, the image and everything else that goes with a brand.

And what makes you think that if it is made in the US of A, there is no PU in OCLV tubes? They can be putting metal chippings in that tube for all they care, as long as they are willing to release it to the public, I assume that they have done their homework.

I think the Made in (wherever) tag is very misleading. It is like debating abortion. Everyone has a theory to what constitutes life. Maybe they should tell you exactly where everything is from on the frame...... steel made in Finland, Tube made in Uzbekistan, paint made in Tanzania, pigment made in China, welding rods made in Australia, frame welded in USA, sprayed in USA!

The funniests one I've heard is on a T-Shirt that I bought in Bali..... Made mostly in USA.

Regards,
Sean

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.