Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Octalink BB costs how much?!?!

2K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  Puchnuts 
#1 ·
So here I was thinking I had scored on a new Shimano 105 175mm crankset for my bike I am refurbing, got it cheap with free shipping off ebay. Then I start looking for the Octalink BB, holy cow $30 - $40 for outdated technology. That's what I get for thinking I got a steel. :mad2:

#29 ·
I just pulled an Octalink out of my Trek 7.5 FX. Installed a Hollowtech II BB and Ultegra triple. It's like night and day. I called the Octalink the "Ice-Cream Churn." It felt like I was stirring concrete. The Hollowtech II is almost as smooth as my old-style Campy Record BB on my vintage bike.

#30 ·
Puchnuts said:
The Hollowtech II is almost as smooth as my old-style Campy Record BB on my vintage bike.
I actually thought about going back to cup-and-cone square taper BBs. I've got documented proof (time trial results, road race placings) that I was much faster on square taper BBs than on Octalinks, ISISes and even outboard bearings. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.