- an annoyed beagle in a cloths basket on the kitchen table,
- a very small water fall and,
- a red-bellied woodpecker.

TF

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
October, century rides and cross
See the guy in the white helmet on the red Surly. Thats Mike. He is just starting his own frame building business. I know that a lot of people try that and don't get far. I think Mike has as good of chance as any. He is a trained artist and a Barnett Institute grad. He has worked as a local wrench for several years. His bikes are called Magnolia bikes. Remember you saw it here first when he has a 4 year waiting list.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
How about:
- a lady beetle with a dent,
- an annoyed beagle in a cloths basket on the kitchen table,
- a very small water fall and,
- a red-bellied woodpecker.

TF...
That is some nice stuff right there! :thumbsup:

·
I used to wave
417 Posts
Trip? I live there..um..here :) The leaves are peaking right now. It was spectacular today out on the Tail of the Dragon/Fontana Dam area while out on the moto. Mtb'd Tsali yesterday. Its a wash of oranges and yellows.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Duckman said:
Trip? I live there..um..here :) The leaves are peaking right now. It was spectacular today out on the Tail of the Dragon/Fontana Dam area while out on the moto. Mtb'd Tsali yesterday. Its a wash of oranges and yellows.

does fontana lake ever fill up? it always looks like it's in the middle of a 10-yr drought

0 Posts
October -- gorgeous!

My favorite month.

Dented ladybug -- so strange. One tough bug.

That's the first cynical beagle I've ever met.

The woman in the sleeveless jersey and black helmet looks about as happy with the photo-taking as was Mr. Beagle.

Trail shots make me want to lace up and head out.

Not much privacy in that outhouse, but it is bound to smell better than most, with a breeze like that.

I never liked staying in AT shelters -- too heavily used, too many mice. But, if it were raining, I was in there. I once set two traps and took out a dozen mice (and one vole -- sorry about that) one night in Vermont.

I wouldn't worry about bugs in the Smokies this time of year. Bears, yes.

Another glorious photo of Washington -- man, you need to do a calendar!

·
I used to wave
417 Posts
FatTireFred said:
does fontana lake ever fill up? it always looks like it's in the middle of a 10-yr drought
Rarely. Last winter it was almost full, being the fullest I've seen it to date. We're at an 11" rain deff right now.

I hate shelters too. I've backpacked over 6000 miles over the last 15yrs, and have stayed in a shelter exactly twice. Even across the AT thru the Smokies one Nov(which while on the AT thru the park, your required to use the shelters) I stealth camped in a small tent.

The shelter pics was a day hike. My place backs up to the main ridgeline the AT goes across near Stecoah Gap. I can hike trails from my backyard up 2 miles to Hogback Gap(about 8 miles south of Fontana Dam). ..or get let off miles away, and hike the AT back home. That rocks.

The last trail pic was mtbing in Pisgah last month on the Black mtn trail.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts