Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/ocular-migraine.htm

Anyone around here experience one of these? I just had my 4th one (in about the last 3 years). The first one scared the bejesus out of me because I thought I was having a stroke or something. The eye thing happens first and lasts about 15 minutes, then I get a nagging, though not severe headache. Apparently, the exact cause is unknown :prrr:

I feel like poo now. Maybe I should go to the ER and demand drugs!

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
No, but I see bats flying in and out of my peripherals and BJ has now made me all paranoid about it when I always thought it was totally normal.

joe

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm no expert (engineer, not doctor) and I could be wrong about everything below, but I've had them on and off since I was about 10 years old. Sometimes I'll get a few in one year, sometimes I will go for a few years without. I think for me there might be a connection with stress. The resulting headache isn't too bad for me. When I was a kid and didn't know what they were, they scared me a lot too. I'm 35 now. I do worry about getting one while driving or biking but so far it has usually been at home. I can't see worth a darn when I am having one.

A friend gets them a few times a year, often followed by a raging migraine. She has some meds for them (zolmig and maxalt, I think) but they tend to put her to sleep. Sometimes being sick actually leads to quicker resolution of the symptoms. Avoiding bright light definitely helps feel better. Easiest way to deal with it for me seems to be to just sleep it off if possible.

Some people have triggers (chocolate, coffee, etc). I know one person who says their migraines went away when they stopped drinking OJ. Look for a pattern. I had a friend at university who was prone to regular migraines and she found that the only way to keep them at bay was to work out at the gym every day. Some co-workers of mine are prone to migraines when there are high or low pressure weather systems moving through.

I don't really know of any real solutions, just what I've learned/experienced over the years. It sucks but hopefully it is an infrequent thing for you.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
carveitup said:
It sucks but hopefully it is an infrequent thing for you.
Migraine with aura. I've had them since my mid 20s. Last year was a banner year for me with several in a week multiple times. My trigger is extreme physical exertion and is aggravated with caffeine. I don't get one every time I have a hard workout but last year it was pretty frequent.

If I can get a Tylenol during the aura phase, then I can mitigate the actual migraine pain. I still feel the migraine hangover but I'm not out of commission. I can't drive with the aura when it's full force.

I actually had a stroke this past November during a cross race and it felt like a migraine aura +eleventy. I blogged about it here: http://hoyerfamily.com/cyclocross/?p=418

Simply because you have migraine with aura, you are at higher risk than the general population for stroke. Since you are young, you shouldn't worry about that. But as you age, really pay attention to factors that can raise your blood pressure and risk of stroke.

Anyway, what you need to do is keep a log of when they happen and what you were doing and eating during the hours leading up to the event. Figuring out mitigation is also a good idea.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Edit: I had three a week or two after the stroke but none since and I've been on my bike riding up some pretty good sized hills.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
I had what I think was my first migraine ever a few weeks ago. Woke up with this pounding headache and nausea that lasted most of the day. Was really sensitive to light also. All I could do was lay in bed in a dark room. I hope that doesn't happen again.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Luckily, it's just uncomfortable and not debilitating. I took some tylenol as soon as it started, then laid down and napped for about half an hour. I had a headache when I woke up, but it's fading now. I haven't figured out what has triggered them. I know it's not caffeine or physical exertion, so I guess that leaves everything else! Knowing me, it's probably hormones.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Andrea138 said:
I haven't figured out what has triggered them. I know it's not caffeine or physical exertion, so I guess that leaves everything else! Knowing me, it's probably hormones.
For me, the triggers aren't immediate. When a trigger is intense effort, the aura wont' start for several hours. Altitude and alcohol (in combination) will sometimes trigger one. Of course none of my triggers are 100%.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I get migraines and other types of headaches very frequently, and the docs haven't been able to pinpoint a cause of find any meds that really work. I've had the ocular headaches a few times and other migraines with all the symptoms but no pain. It's very weird. Once years ago I was prescribed cafergot for migraines but the side effects were worse than the headaches--I was hallucinating like crazy during a class on Milton (I think the prof thought I was about to go berserk).

·
Large Suburban Male
3,599 Posts
I don't have migranes, thank God, but I work with a couple of women who do, and they make us all miserable, because there is nothing we can do for them.

One thing I noticed - everyone I know who gets the migrane is female. Is this a gender specific malady? I'm asking out of curiosity, not sexism. I just don't think I know any dudes who get them.

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
i used to get the visual migraines a few years ago when i was
the manager of a department(read: lots of stress.) nowadays,
when i do get them, i'm over-tired and the visual stuff only lasts
for a few hours, but is followed by excruciating pain from everything
being loud. i can hear people talking on the other side of the house.

if i catch it early, it's either with Excedrin for Migraines, Tylenol with
a Pepsi or the Zomig if it's really bad at the outset. i haven't gotten
the nausea the last couple of times, don't know why.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
murbike said:
I don't have migranes, thank God, but I work with a couple of women who do, and they make us all miserable, because there is nothing we can do for them.

One thing I noticed - everyone I know who gets the migrane is female. Is this a gender specific malady? I'm asking out of curiosity, not sexism. I just don't think I know any dudes who get them.
think it's much more common in women--hormone imbalances are thought to be involved as a one cause.

·
Large Suburban Male
3,599 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
think it's much more common in women--hormone imbalances are thought to be involved as a one cause.
Ah, the catch all reason. Gotcha.

(BTW - That was sexist)

·
Hermia commutes
1,496 Posts
Andrea - they may well be hormonally related. Keep track of where they line up with the rest of your hormone fluctuations. I almost always have pms-related severe headaches, and mine are also related to weather systems. That and stress. And the earlier you can get some drugs and lie down the better off you are. I've never had the aura thing, though. It does not sound like fun.

·
It's not easy being green
314 Posts
Andrea, I get menstrual-migraines, so regular I can look at a calendar and plan them. Completely hormone related. I found a med called Frova that works great. It does knock me down but doesn't make me sick like topamax and other migraine pills. I hope this is not your problem but something to talk to the doc about. Try to document when you have them. Unfortunately it could be a little eye strain as well. Feel better.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I had them in my mid 20's but was fine after they removed my left eye.

Go see a doc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I'm a 51 year old guy and I started getting them when I was about 34. I was at a boring seminar when the first one hit. The first few years when I would get one they would make me weak for about 5 days. But as the years passed I just feel weak for maybe 24 hours or so, if I take an Excedrin for Migraine as soon as the light bands start. But if I wake up with one in the night then I'm doomed to feeling subpar for about 72 hours. The worst was one a week for two weeks. But I've also gone for >1 year without one.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I started getting sporadically them after I turned 40. I've had 6 in the last 8 years. Mine seem to be related to stress from work. I don't get them when I am stressed, I get them when the stress goes away.

I had to ride my motorcycle home with one once, keeping my eyes to the side so I could see out of the part of my vision that wasn't blocked with the starburst. That was interesting but the activity seemed to help lessen the effects.

Caffeine, tylenol and taking a nap all seem to help me.

G

·
I have worked with several people who had trouble with them and in my job (flying) you have to be free of them for a period of time in order to continue working. Diet modifications of some sort seem to be the most common fix, I haven't heard of anything drastic but avoiding or only eating small amounts of certain items.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts