Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, let me know if I need to do something different since I am new here. I did do a search however.

I have some spooky cantis, but I don't have the cable bridge end pieces. I've been to a few shops and none of them have what I need. The first picture shows the pieces I am missing (circled in red), and the second picture (thanks to Timo) shows how the pieces I don't have fit into the brake.

Does anyone know what I can do for the end pieces? nothing in the QBP catalog seems to match and standard cable ends are too narrow. I've contacted Spooky but I'd like to be up and running in less time than it would take to send these across the pond.

Note: the empella froglegs (frogglegs?) use the same type of cable end, it appears.

I also don't have the fancy hanger shown in the photo. What is the advantage of this over a basic crappy stamped hanger?

Thanks everyone!

Andy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jeremy, thank you for your response. That clears things up on the straddle carrier.

I'll refer to the item in your picture as "brass piece"

However, one of the shops I went to had that QBP brass piece. however, it is just long enough so that the front and back plate of the brake arm sit on the hexed ends of the brass piece, but the brass piece doesn't extend past the front or back plate of the brake arm. This didn't seem adequate to me or the tech because there is no flange on the brass piece outside the front and back plates of the brake, so we didn't really feel like it would stay in place.

The cable ends in the carbon brakes picture in my initial post seem to have grooves in them for the arms. I attached a picture of the empellas where you can really see the grooves for the front and back plates.

Have you used this pictured piece with these brakes? Maybe they could at least hold me over until I can get some from spooky (haven't heard from them yet, maybe tomorrow).

Thanks Again!

Andy

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
both spooky's and empellas

have grooves that slip into the 'fangs' of the brake arms. cxworld should be able to hook you up. As for the straddle, the Spooky circulars are okay, but I wouldn't order if I didn't have. Find a Salsa dealer and get their wide yoke, it improves the leverage of the brakes. otherwise find avid tyri-dangles. but you are right, barrel ends are grooved.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
atpjunkie said:
have grooves that slip into the 'fangs' of the brake arms. cxworld should be able to hook you up. As for the straddle, the Spooky circulars are okay, but I wouldn't order if I didn't have. Find a Salsa dealer and get their wide yoke, it improves the leverage of the brakes. otherwise find avid tyri-dangles. but you are right, barrel ends are grooved.

Dude! Brew Jugs! http://www.brewracingframes.com/id25.htm

Too cool!

M

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called cxworld and I think they understood what I was looking for. anyway, I should have a package from them with something in it on thursday. Hopefully it will be the "barrels" in question. Ordered some Kool Stop pads too. :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Reassurance

FixinInTraffic said:
I called cxworld and I think they understood what I was looking for. anyway, I should have a package from them with something in it on thursday. Hopefully it will be the "barrels" in question. Ordered some Kool Stop pads too. :D
Cyclocrossworld.com will be sending you what you need; I had one with the set screw siezed in it, so called them up and they knew exactly what I needed. You might want to buy an extra or two next time you place an order with cyclocrossworld.com, since the soft aluminum is not impossible to strip, seize or otherwise become unusable.

Cheers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Triangle.

I ordered 2 sets and I'm not using a rear brake so I have a bit of a buffer :)

are the left and the right "barrel" the same, on one brake?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
different barrels

one has hole for ball end of cable, other has allen head screw to tighten on cable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New, probably stupid question.

CXworld hooked me up and sent me the right parts. $15 for those barrels but they are a special part, ok I guess.

Next question: one end of the barrels has a set screw with a cable hole, no problem. The barrel for the other end has a countersunk area for the cable end to go into, about the size of the recess on a downtube shift lever, for a derailleur cable. You know, a small barrel shaped cable end with its axis along the axis of the cable, unlike a regular straddle cable's end which has an axis perpendicular to the cable. What kind of straddle cables are people using with these brakes? A regular straddle cable wouldn't fit into the recess, and plus the flat thing on a regular straddle cable won't thread through the little hole. Are people using derailleur cable for a straddle or what?

Thanks much, I can take pictures later this evening if needed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Derailleur or brake cable

FixinInTraffic said:
What kind of straddle cables are people using with these brakes? A regular straddle cable wouldn't fit into the recess, and plus the flat thing on a regular straddle cable won't thread through the little hole. Are people using derailleur cable for a straddle or what?
Derailleur cable works fine, and that's what it's designed to use. I've managed to convince myself (whether true or not) that I can feel the difference if I use a thicker brake cable instead. The little mushroom end sticks out of the one barrel and looks odd, but who cares, and the cable just barely fits through the hole in the barrel with a set screw. Works for me.

Cheers!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
hard to get a good pinch on thinner

Der. Cable. I found brake cables where I just have a ball extended outside the barrel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts