Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been riding for about a year now but am just recently getting back into longer distances (20 - 30 miles which is long for me). For some reason as I get to the end of a long ride or right after I finish one, my foot feels almost like its burning. It's on the outside edge from the ball of my foot to the heel. I know this sounds crazy but I was wondering if someone else has/had this problem. I'm sure it's a setup problem but I don't really know enough about my bike yet to just start messing with random parts. Any help is appreciated guys.

-Chad

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Assuming you're using cycling shoes this is not all that uncommon. The best/first thing to do is to get some Superfeet trim-to-fit insoles. They are available at ski and hiking stores. Don't use Dr. Scholl's or something soft like that, you want firm, properly shaped support.

·
Registered
482 Posts
davidka said:
this is not all that uncommon.
Why don't you just say "it is common."

But he's right, you need cycling insoles. Some like specialized have different wedge angles which positions your foot properly to the pedal.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Could be a number of things..

-Cleat position. Make sure the ball of your foot is centered over the pedal axis. Some of the newer shoes have a scale on the sole making this easy to do.

-Going to a wider pedal might help also.

-I used to have this problem when I first started. You could try Superfeet insoles. I use the blue's, although the grays are recommended for cycling.

-I think my problem went away when I went to a carbon or fiberglass sole shoe. It's been a few years so I don't remember.

-Could also be caused by the warmer temps. My feet will bother me the first couple weeks of spring or early summer.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Something to watch for with insoles...

As a couple of posts have said, insoles may help, but you need to be sure they don't crowd your feet in the shoes. Cycle-specific insoles are usually pretty thin and don't cause a problem, but if the shoes are on the snug side, they may make things worse.
I did a story on this a couple of years ago for an outdoors magazine, and the most knowledgeable people I found were at our local REI store. You might check there, or see if there's some kind of "specialty footwear" (weird feet) store in your area.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I forgot to mention...if you do a lot of climbing, foot pain is common when the weather warms up...REI sells Superfeet..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.