Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here how it is goes down:

Me: riding up to a light that has just turned red for my direction. I am in the bike/right turn/bus lane coasting

Doo de doo doo de doo

I stop at the light in the most left location as possible so that I do not block the right turner. I hear a car pull up then a faintly audible voice

Looking down I see a late 40's ish woman dress in golf clothes with a suitable golf **** hair do

me: excuse me?

her: this is a right turn lane.

Me: what?

her: I said this a right turn only lane.

me:
actually it is a bus/bike/right turn lane.

her: and it for right turn only actually.

me: um, actually it isn't that sign you see right behind you says buses and bikes exempt.

her: are you turning right?

me: no

her: then you aren't supposed to be in this lane

just then the light turns green for me and I mount up and start moving

me: except I am a bike.........dumb ass.

shaking my head I continue home know full well that the next time she goes that way to golf practice she will see the signs that are along the full extent of the bike/bus lane every 1000ft that state: Right turn only - Buses and bikes exempt

It just so happened that we were standing right next to one. She could have backed up 18inches and seen the sign. I wish I could have made her back up a bit.

Here is the location that this occurred. The sign right at the arrow is the one stating as above. I can only guess that she didn't know what the word exempt meant and she probably gets pissed at the buses that sit there and do not turn right either.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Why not just take the full straight ahead lane and merge back into the bike lane when you get by the light?

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is odd. If you did not obstruct her ability to make a right hand turn what's her beef?

Glad you attached picture. I noticed the Circle K and figured it was Tucson.

I got my graduate degree at UofA and in fact started commuting for the first time there almost 20 years ago on a Specialized Hard Rock that I just mothballed for a touring bike. Used to commute from campus to East Pima/?. Never braved a summer in Tucson though...

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OrlandoV said:
This is odd. If you did not obstruct her ability to make a right hand turn what's her beef?

Glad you attached picture. I noticed the Circle K and figured it was Tucson.

I got my graduate degree at UofA and in fact started commuting for the first time there almost 20 years ago on a Specialized Hard Rock that I just mothballed for a touring bike. Used to commute from campus to East Pima/?. Never braved a summer in Tucson though...
I think her beef was that I was coasting while taking up the right turn lane as I was riding in the middle of it as I slowed and only pulled over to the left as I got ready to stop. She couldn't zoom around and pull in front as I was coasting down with the cars at as they also slowed for the light. So ergo I was holding her up from her golf practice I guess.

I commute from near Old Spanish Trail to near the UofA campus and commute all summer. Not bad once you get used to it.

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Own Private Idaho said:
Why just all summer? I live south of you, and commute year around.
um just clarifying this comment here:

OrlandoV said:
....Never braved a summer in Tucson though...
I too commute all year but evidently I have been riding all that time in the right only lane - bicycles and buses exempt!!

·
passive/aggressive
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FatTireFred said:
why do you hate golfers?
I live in Tucson. They turn our beautiful desert into watered grassy parks wasting our water and polluting the ground water with fertilizer just so a buncha white people from Iowa and Calgary can chase a white ball around with a metal stick.

Don't get me started....

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
fielder's choice here

1) You left out the "NTTAWWT."

2) You're right, she's wrong.

3) Sounds like she could fit by, anyway. She's an idiot (NTTAWWT).

4) Here in blistering hot Fresno, CA., the law is great. Law says cyclists must keep right, but with about 2 dozen exceptions. One of them is where there is a provision for a right turn. I take this as giving us the choice -- we "shall" keep right, but we have the option of not doing so under certain circumstances.

5) Always do what the cops say, nonetheless. I was doing exactly what you were, and one day a police officer pulled up, in a hurry to turn right, apparently thinking she did not have room. She asked me to move over, and I did without question.

6) MB1 is making us all look bad. Every time a motorist gets irate with us, let's blame him. ;-)

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
MB1 said:
Once again demonstrating the error of waiting for a red light.
hehehe...

But I don't think I'd be running a red in THAT intersection.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
My Own Private Idaho said:
I suspect that even MB1 would ride differently in Tucson than DC. In DC the cars do the same thing. When in Rome, and all that.
Heck, in DC the bike Police are about the most clueless cyclists out there. There isn't a traffic law they won't break (except for speeding, very few of them are in any kind of shape to go fast) .Run red lights, u-turns anywhere, wrong way down one-way streets, jump from sidewalks to streets and back again, you name it and the bike cops are doing it.

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
anarchy?

MB1 said:
Heck, in DC the bike Police are about the most clueless cyclists out there. There isn't a traffic law they won't break (except for speeding, very few of them are in any kind of shape to go fast) .Run red lights, u-turns anywhere, wrong way down one-way streets, jump from sidewalks to streets and back again, you name it and the bike cops are doing it.

Sounds like it's essentially traffic anarchy there?

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Fixed said:
Sounds like it's essentially traffic anarchy there?
Not quite but it seems like it is getting closer and closer every day. Likely comes from the complete lack of traffic law enforcement (except for parking tickets which is a major revenue source for the city).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.